Architect, surveyor and civil engineer, of Dublin. William Harrison Hargrave, son of Thomas Deane Hargrave, a surgeon, of Usher's Quay, Dublin, and his wife (and first cousin) Adelaide, was born on 7 July 1858 and baptised at St Audoen's church the following month.. According to his long and rather incoherent application for membership of the Institution of Civil Engineers of Ireland, he was a pupil for two years of THOMAS HOLBROOK , surveyor for Clontarf Township, and for a further three years of T.N. DEANE & amp; SON. He also worked for ALBERT MURRAY circa 1884, for WILLIAM HAGUE and for WILLIAM SIDNEY COX , of Limerick. He was then an assistant to R.F. Vallance, borough surveyor of Mansfield, Nottinghamshire, before returning to Ireland to act as clerk of works for a number of architects: for Albert Murray at the Stanwix Hospital and Almshouses in Thurles, Co. Tipperary (1890), for THOMAS NEWENHAM DEANE at Coolatore House, Co. Westmeath, and for JOHN LANYON at the Co. Antrim Lunatic Asylum (1894-98). At some stage he went to London to learn quantity surveying and also spent a year studying engineering and surveying at the Royal College of Science. By 1907 he had an office at 69 Dame Street. Towards the end of the First World War, in May 1917, he joined the army and served as an assistant engineer in the Civilian Railway Corps in France. By 1926 he was working from home at 68 Grosvenor Square.
ICEI: associate, 1898; associate member, 1902; still an associate member in 1926 but not in 1927.
Surveyor's Institute: fellow, circa 1913.
Architectural Association (London): member by 1898.
Addresses: Work: 37 Dawson Street, 1884; Castle Street, Antrim, 1898; 78 Manor Street, Waterford, 1903; Post Office, Kildare, 1904; 69 Dame Street <=1907 until >=1922.
Home: 68 Grosvenor Square, Rathmines, <=1900 until >=1926.
All the information in this entry not otherwise accounted for comes from ICEI membership applications, III, 95, ICEI membership lists and Thom's and Post Office directories.
Irish Genealogy, http://churchrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/details/0a27e80385198, last visited Aug 2010, and information from Hector Deane .
IB 26, 15 Nov 1884, 338.
TICEI 43 (1916-17), 228.
IB 68, 29 May 1926, 433.
See note 2, above.