Architect and civil engineer, of Dublin, active in Ireland from the 1850s until cIrca 1870. In 1864 Burne was appointed architect to the Protestant Bishop of Meath for the Commissioners of Improvement and Loan. As a result of having stood security for a friend, he was obliged to emigrate to America in about 1870. He was already in America by the beginning of 1871, when the council of the RIAI considered a request from him for a certificate of his connection with the Institute, which the Honorary Secretary was duly ordered to send to him. In July of the same year he applied to the Grand Lodge of Ireland Committee of Charity for the means to enable his family to join him in New York. According to the New York census for 1880, his family consisted of his English-born wife, Mary, and two sons, Richard and William. An architect of this name designed 1388 Second Avenue (1882) and 1817-1824 Second Avenue (1888) in New York.
RSAI: elected member 8 Jan 1862.
RIAI: proposed as fellow by JAMES HIGGINS OWEN and E.P. Gribbon 18 Jun 1863, and admitted 19 Nov 1863; struck off 7 Dec 1868 for being in arrears with subscription.
GLFI: joined Lodge 125 Dublin in 1860.
Addresses: 61 Harcourt St 1857-1870.
DB 6, 15 Oct 1864, 209; Irish Ecclesiastical Gazette 6, no. 64 (19 Oct 1864), 217.
RIAI council minutes, 5 Jan 1871, 154.
GLFI archives; .
United States Census, 1880, index and images, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/MZX3-5H9 : accessed 22 Oct 2012).
JRSAI 7 (1862-1863), 3.
RIAI general meeting minutes, 18 Jun,19 Nov 1863, 128, 133; DB 5, 1 Dec 1863, 196.
RIAI council minutes, 7 Dec 1868, 115.
GLFI archives. (910 Thom's directories 1860-1870, Trades Directory section; the list of engineers in the editions of 1869, 1870 and 1871 includes 'Henry C. Burne' at 61 Harcourt Street.
11 work entries listed in chronological order for BURNE, JOHN C.
Sort by date | Sort alphabetically
||CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, WESTMORELAND STREET, NO. 013
||'newly and expensively fitted up' as house agency for Thomas P. Swan, house and land agent; 'ceiling beautifully decorated by Mr Hogan, of Brunswick Street'. Contractor: Boyd, Capel St.
DB 4, 15 Sep 1862, 238; Irish Times, 15 Sep 1862.
||CO. WEXFORD, WEXFORD, REDMOND MEMORIAL
||Monument to John Edward Redmond. FS laid 25 Mar 1867. Sculptor: James Cahill. Builder: Patrick O'Connor.
Irish Times, 27 Mar 1867; IB 9, 1 Apr 1867, 87.