LESLIE, JOHN (SIR)
- Born: 1822 Died: 1916
Landowner and painter. Sir John Leslie, first baronet, of Glaslough, Co. Monaghan, and member of parliament for Co. Monaghan, was also a portrait painter of ability, who exhibited at the Royal Academy in the 1850s and 1860s. At his country seat, Castle Leslie, Co. Monaghan, he decorated the walls of the long gallery with allegorical paintings.(1)
(1) Kevin V. Mulligan, The Buildings of Ireland: South Ulster (2013), 342.; Mulligan also suggests (p. 337) that Leslie might have designed and carved the capitals in chancel of St Salvator's church, Glaslough.
1 work entries listed in chronological order for LESLIE, JOHN (SIR)
|Building:||CO. MONAGHAN, CASTLE LESLIE (GLASLOUGH)|
|Nature:||Decorated walls of Long Gallery with his allegorical paintings.
Kevin V. Mulligan, The Buildings of Ireland: South Ulster (2013), 342.