HALDANE, WILLIAM *
- Born: 1858 Died: 1929
Scottish-born landscape gardener. William Haldane, son of William Haldane and Isabella Hutchison, was born in Culross, Fife, Scotland, on 29 April 1858.(1) In about 1880 he moved to Ireland, where he was employed as a gardener at the house of Robert McCrum, linen manufacturer, of Milford House, Co. Armagh. Here he laid out formal gardens with parterres, a fountain and a polygonal conservatory linked to the house.(2) While he was living at Milford, he met and married Emma Reilly, a close friend of the McCrums, by whom he had eleven children. Emma Reilly also had connections with the Beresfords of Curraghmore, who may have provided William with useful contacts. According to family tradition he actually worked at Curraghmore, but, if so, he does not appear have been resident in Co. Waterford for very long. The birthplaces of his children in the Irish censuses of 1901 and 1911 provide some record of his his family's movements: these indicatet that they remained in Co. Armagh until 1887 or 1888, were in Co. Dublin in 1889 (where William is said by his descendants to have worked at the Vice Regal Lodge), in Co. Wicklow in 1891, and in Co.Tyrone from 1892 or 1893 onwards. In Co. Tyrone William was employed at Benburb Manor by James Bruce, distiller, of Belfast, who had purchased the house in 1887.(3) He remained in Benburb until at least 1911 and probably until Bruce's death in 1917, when the house was sold. After the partition of Ireland in 1920, he moved to Canada. He died in Canada in 1929. His wife subsequently returned to Ireland and settled in Belfast.
All information in this entry not otherwise attributed was provided by William Haldane's grandson, Robert Fraser Haldane, Craryville, NY, USA, Mar 2014.
(2) Kevin V. Mulligan, The Buildings of Ireland: South Ulster (2013), 455.
(3) Alistair Rowan, The Buildings of Ireland: North West Ulster (1979), 146.
1 work entries listed in chronological order for HALDANE, WILLIAM *
|Building:||CO. ARMAGH, MILFORD HOUSE|
|Nature:||Laid out formal gardens with parterres, a fountain and a polygonal conservatory linked to the house for Robert Garmany McCrum.
|Refs:||Kevin V. Mulligan, The Buildings of Ireland: South Ulster (2013), 455.|