Dictionary of Irish Architects 1720 - 1940

Ironsmith, of Dublin, active from the 1740s until the 1760s.  The Turners were a well-known family of ironsmiths in Dublin from the 1670s (when a William Turner, provided ironwork for the old Blue Coat School on Oxmantown Green) or earlier until 1888, when the family foundry closed following the death of another WILLIAM TURNER.& WILLIAM TURNER.& #160;

A manuscript cash book of MICHAEL WILLS  MICHAEL WILLS in the Irish Architectural Archive (1) records payments for ironwork to Richard Turner, ironmonger, in 1753, to his wife Rebecca Turner (née Edkins) (2), ironmonger, in 1756, and to Tim Turner, ironmonger in 1757 and 1758, while various payments to Timothy and Rebecca Turner and 'Timothy Turner and brother' dating from between 1744 and 1766 are recorded in the tradesmen's bills in the Trinity College muniments (3). The will of 'Timothy Turner, the elder, ironmonger' was proved in the Prerogative Court in 1765.(4)  It was perhaps on account of his death that Rebecca Turner held a closing down sale in September 1767.(5)  

Timothy Turner appears to have been a developer in Dublin, though there may also have been another developer of this name who succeeded him.  The will of a 'Timothy Turner, merchant' was proved in the Prerogative Court in 1785.(6)  He may be the Timothy Turner, ironmaster, who, according to Casey, built Nos. 3, 5 and 6 Hume Street, Dublin circa 1770.(7)

For other members of the family, see RICHARD TURNER  RICHARD TURNER and THOMAS TURNER. THOMAS TURNER.

See WORKS.



References

For the work of Timothy Turner (fl. 1743-1766) see Miriam O'Connor, 'Timothy Turner, an eighteenth-century Dublin ironsmith', Irish Arts Review 12 (1996), 141-2.


(1) Acc. 80/81.
(2) Irish Genealogy, churchrecords.irishgenealogy.ie  (last visited, Sep 2013). 
(3) MUN/P/2.
(4)   Arthur Vicars, Index to the Prerogative Wills of Ireland 1536-1810 (1897), 463.
(5) Faulkner's Dublin Journal, 8-12 Sep 1767.
(6) Vicars, loc. cit., who does not however name his place of residence.
(7) Christine Casey, The Buildings of Ireland: Dublin (2005), 528.


5 work entries listed in chronological order for TURNER, TIMOTHY *


Sort by date | Sort alphabetically


Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, COLLEGE GREEN, TRINITY COLLEGE, WEST FRONT
Date: 1752p
Nature: Wrought-iron balustrade to principal stair in Regent House.
Refs: Miriam O'Connor, 'Timothy Turner, an eighteenth-century Dublin ironsmith', Irish Arts Review 12 (1996), 142(illus.).Christine Casey, The Buildings of Ireland: Dublin (2005), 392.

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, LEINSTER STREET SOUTH, NO. 006
Date: 1758-1760
Nature: House built from 1758 by the ironsmith Timothy Turner, who sold it in 1760 to Philip Tisdall who became Attorney-General in that year'.
Refs: Christine Casey, The Buildings of Ireland: Dublin (2005), 549.

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, COLLEGE GREEN, TRINITY COLLEGE, PROVOST'S HOUSE
Date: 1761;1763
Nature: Wrought-iron balustrade to back stair, 1761, and to principal stair, 1763.
Refs: Miriam O'Connor, 'Timothy Turner, an eighteenth-century Dublin ironsmith', Irish Arts Review 12 (1996), 142(illus.);  Christine Casey, The Buildings of Ireland: Dublin (2005), 395.

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, MERRION SQUARE, NO. 006 & 7
Date: 1765a
Nature: Built by TT.
Refs: Christine Casey, The Buildings of Ireland: Dublin (2005), 578,580

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, COLLEGE GREEN, TRINITY COLLEGE, DINING HALL
Date: 1765ca
Nature: Balustrade to dining hall stair.
Refs: Miriam O'Connor, 'Timothy Turner, an eighteenth-century Dublin ironsmith', Irish Arts Review 12 (1996), 141(illus.).

Christine Casey, The Buildings of Ireland: Dublin (2005), 399.