Dictionary of Irish Architects 1720 - 1940

Architect in the Office of Public Works. John Leonard Browne, third son of JOHN BROWN [2]  JOHN BROWN [2] , was born circa 1902 in Newry, Co. Down, and received his schooling there.(1) He entered the architects' department of the Office of Public Works and held the post of assistant architect, based in Raphoe and Lifford, from 1932 or earlier until 1940 or later. During World War II he was employed by the Admiralty at Warrenpoint and in the Ministry of Works, London. While he was working at Warrenpoint, he lived at Omeath on the opposite side of Carlingford Lough, and every day would cross the lough to work and back in a boat he had built himself. He was county architect for Co. Louth from 1953 to 1963, and practised privately in Dundalk until his death in 1964. He was buried in the cemetery at Omeath. He was survived by his English wife and four children: Vincent, an architect in Canada, Joan, Shirley and Melita.

RIAI: student, 1925; elected member, 1928; had ceased to be a member by 1948, but rejoined in 1954.

Addresses: Kilmorey Street, Newry, 1911;  Driseo-g, Baily, Howth, <=1928->=1929; District Office of Public Works, Raphoe, Co. Donegal, 1932; District Office of Public Works, Lifford, Co. Donegal, 1933->=1940; Ard Mhuire, Mount Avenue, Dundalk, <=1954-1964.


All information in this entry is from the obituary of Browne by T.J.McG (?T.P. McGahon) in RIAI Year Book (1966), 57, RIAI lists of members, and the Irish census of 1911.