CREDDAN (OR CREDEN), JAMES *
- Born: - Died: -
Builder and architect, of Enniskillen, Co. Fermanagh, active from 1825 or earlier until 1852 or later. James Creddan, 'architect', who leased a site in Barrack Street, Enniskillen, from the second earl of Enniskillen in 1825(1) and another behind the west side of the street from John Armstrong in the same year.(2) He built the market house in Manorhamilton, Co. Leitrim, for the second earl of Leitrim in 1834.(3) James Creden of Enniskillen, was the contractor for the new lighthouse at Rathlin O'Birne, Co. Donegal, built between 1847 and 1856,(4) while in 1848 a James Creden, 'architect', was named as the Enniskillen agent for Francis Ritchie's 'cheap and durable roofing'.(5)
The 1852 Belfast and Province of Ulster Directory for Enniskillen lists both James Creden, builder, of Darling Street and James Credan, timber merchant, of Barrack Lane. Slater's 1846 directory also lists a timber merchant named James Creden in the port of Ballyshannon, Co. Donegal.
(1) Introduction to the Enniskillen Papersin PRONI, http://www.proni.gov.uk/introduction_enniskillen.pdf (last visited Oct 2010).
(2) Leases for 3 lives by John Armstrong, Enniskillen,to James Credden, (Architect), Enniskillen, of a plot of ground 'in rere of Tenements' on west side of Barrack Street and a another plot of ground on the west side of street, 1 Jan 1825, in PRONI, D1702/1/7/3 and D1702/1/30/34 (see PRONI e-catalogue).
(3) A.P.W. Malcomson, The Clements Archive (Dublin: Irish Manuscripts Commission, 2010), 3,582.
(4) John S. Sloane, 'A History of the lighthouses of Ireland…V', IB 22, 1 Sep 1880, 248.
(5) Anglo-Celt, 1 Dec 1848, http://www.irelandoldnews.com/Cavan/1848/DEC.html. (last visited Oct 2010).
2 work entries listed in chronological order for CREDDAN (OR CREDEN), JAMES *
|Building:||CO. LEITRIM, MANORHAMILTON, MARKET HOUSE|
|Nature:||JC contractor for new market house for 2nd Earl of Leitrim.
A.P.W. Malcomson, The Clements Archive (Dublin: Irish Manuscripts Commission, 2010), 3,582.
|Building:||CO. DONEGAL, RATHLIN O'BIRNE, LIGHTHOUSE|
|Nature:||JC contractor for new lighthouse completed 1856 to designs by GEORGE HALPIN .
John S. Sloane, 'A History of the lighthouses of Ireland…V', IB 22, 1 Sep 1880, 248.