MARTIN, H. & J.
- Born: - Died: -
Building contractors, of Belfast and Dublin. The large firm of H. & J. Martin was founded in Belfast in 1840 by Henry Martin (d. 1898). It became known under the name of H. & J. Martin when Henry Martin took his eldest son, John, into partnership. After Henry Martin's death, John became chairman and managing director of the company. Two younger sons, James and Henry, became directors, James Martin being given charge of the Dublin branch of the business. The company is still (2009) in business in Belfast.
Addresses: Ulster Building Works, Ormeau Road, Belfast, & 1-11 Canal Street Upper, Dublin, 1900.
All information in this entry is from Modern Ireland: Men of the Period (London ), 145, which is illustrated with a portrait photograph of John Martin..