Dictionary of Irish Architects 1720 - 1940

Builder, of Dublin.   George James Crampton, fifth son of James Crampton, a tenant farmer at Ballintaggart, Colbinstown, Co. Kildare, and his wife, Anne (née Yates) was born on 9 February 1851.   He served an apprenticeship to a carpenter in Carlow town.   By 1877 he had moved to Dublin and in 1879 he set up his own building business.   After he had taken his nephew Thomas Allen Crampton (1878-1949) into partnership in 1905, the name of the firm was changed to G. & T. Crampton in 1907.  G. & T. Crampton Ltd was registered as a private limited company on 21 December 1923.  By this time it was one of the leading building firms in Dublin;  major contracts included University College, Dublin, on Earlsfort Terrace, the Bank of Ireland in O'Connell Street Lower, Wynn's Hotel, Lower Abbey Street and several large public and private housing developments.   In 1928 the firm was named in a leaflet produced by the Anti-Imperialist Committee of Sinn Fein, which listed establishments in Dublin deemed to have pro-British sympathies and called for a boycott of these 'Outposts of Empire'.  The firm does not appear to have suffered from the hoped-for boycott, though it was not until 1943 that Crampton's received its first major commission from the Catholic hierarchy.

George James Crampton died on 26 November 1925 at his house in Argyle Road, Herbert Park.    He had married Elizabeth Boyd from Belfast, in 1895 and had a daughter, Gladys Victoria Maud, and a son, George Hugh Cecil (1901-1976), who also joined the company.    During the war years George Cecil Crampton (b.1925), nephew of Thomas and great-nephew of George James entered the company, followed by his own sons George David (b. 1954) amd John Philip (b. 1959).The business which their great-great-uncle founded has continued to flourish until the present day (2009).

Addresses:  Work:  63-64 Great Brunswick Street, Dublin, 1883-1891;  Hammersmith Works, Pembroke Street, 1891-
Home:  Lowell House, Herbert Avenue, Merrion, 1887-1897ca; 18 Argyle Road, 1911ca until death.


All information in this entry is from Ruth McManus, Crampton Built (Dublin: G. & T. Crampton, 2008), a comprehensive history of the company.  See also the entry by Shaun Boylan on George Hugh Cecil Crampton in DIB.

1 work entries listed in chronological order for CRAMPTON, GEORGE JAMES *

Sort by date | Sort alphabetically

Date: 1909-1917
Nature: Housing development in Herbert Park Road, Argyle Road, Arranmore Road, and Brendan Road.
Refs: Ruth McManus, Crampton Built (Dublin: G. & T. Crampton, 2008), 31-39(illus.)