CHAPMAN, JOHN *
- Born: - Died: -
Stonecutter and marble mason, of Dublin, active from the 1850s until the 1870s or later, while the firm of John Chapman & Son remained in business at least until 1883. In 1871 John Chapman was entrusted by Patrick Leahy, Archbishop of Cashel, with 'altering, finishing and improving' the tabernacle for the Catholic cathedral at Thurles, Co. Tipperary,(1) which had been sent from Rome.(2) The tabernacle was later discovered to have come from the church of the Gesù in Rome and is probably attributable to Giacomo della Porta (ca 1533-1602).(3)
Addresses: 43 Mabbot Street, <=1853->=1875; 125 Dorset Street Upper, 1883.
(1) IB 13, 1 Dec 1871, 307.
(2) IB 13, 15 Nov 1871, 299.
(3) Joseph D.C. Mashek, 'The original high altar tabernacle of the Gesù rediscovered', Burlington Magazine 112 (Feb 1970), 110-111.
2 work entries listed in chronological order for CHAPMAN, JOHN *
|Building:||CO. MONAGHAN, CLONES, CHURCH HILL, CHURCH OF THE SACRED HEART (RC)|
|Nature:||Wall plaques in memory of Rev. Francis McGennis (d.1847) and Rev. James Smith (d. 1868).
Kevin V. Mulligan, The Buildings of Ireland: South Ulster (2013), 273
|Building:||CO. TIPPERARY, THURLES, CATHEDRAL STREET, CATHEDRAL OF THE ASSUMPTION (RC)|
|Nature:||JC engaged in 'altering, finishing and improving' high altar tabernacle which had been sent from Rome (later discovered to have come from the Gesù and probably the work of Giacomo della Porta).
|Refs:||IB 13, 15 Nov, 1 Dec 1871, 299,307;. oseph D.C. Mashek, 'The original high altar tabernacle of the Gesù rediscovered', Burlington Magazine 112 (Feb 1970), 110-111.|