TASSIE, WILLIAM *
- Born: - Died: -
Stonecutter, of Dublin, active in the 1810s. William Tassie, 'builder', estimated for building a sewer for Trinity College in 1812 (12), and stonecutters named William and James Tassie were awarded the contract for stonework at the Richmond Asylum in 1810 (2) and also tendered for the stonework of the portico of the General Post Office in Dublin in 1814 (3). The directories, which originally spell the name as 'Tashee', show James Tashee, stone-cutter, at 9 Dorset Street from 1814 or earlier until 1818 or later. William Tashee or Tassie, stone-cutter, first appears in 1816 at 28 Wellington Street but by 1823 had moved to 8 Dorset Street,where he remained until 1831 or later. By 1841 a William Tassie was living at Elm Lodge, Burnet Place, Drumcondra, which was also the address of JOHN TASSIE.
There appears to have been more than one person named William Tassie with connections to the building trades active in Dublin in the first half of the nineteenth century. The stonecutter described above may possibly be the same person as the 'William Tassie, Architect' whose son, also named William was admitted to Trinity College, Dublin, on 1 July 1816 at the age of sixteen,(4) while the younger William could possibly be the same person as the surveyor named William Tassie who made a survey plan of the grounds of the King's Inns on 2 August 1842. The plan, which is in the Irish Architectural Archive (King's Inns Collection, Acc. 2007/10.5/13), includes a minutely drawn elevation of the boundary wall and gates on Constitution Hill.
(1) Trinity college muniments, MUN/P/192.
(2) Dublin Historical Record 7 (1944-45), 3.
(3) Specification & tenders, 1814, in An Post archives; photocopy in IAA, RP.L.72.
(4) G.D. Burtchaell & T.U. Sadleir, eds., Alumni Dublinenses (1935), 800.