Dictionary of Irish Architects 1720 - 1940

Engineer, county surveyor for Co. Donegal, 1939-1948, and business man. Thomas MacMahon, son of Bernard and Ellen MacMahon, was born at Milltown, Co. Kerry, on 1 April 1898. After attending school at Blackrock College, he studied engineering at University College, Galway, obtaining the BE and BSc degrees in 1918. During the next three years he was engaged on mineralogical surveys in Ireland and with Bird & Co., Calcutta. Returning to Ireland, he worked first as assistant director of engineering at IRA headquarters, then for Kildare County Council and then for the Valuation Office, before becoming an assistant county surveyor for Co. Dublin in 1925. After ten years as an assistant county surveyor, he was appointed chief engineer with the Turf Development Board. In 1937 he joined the South of Ireland Asphalt Company.

MacMahon had passed the county surveyorship examination as early as 1931, and in December 1939 he was appointed county surveyor for Co. Donegal. He remained in this post until 1948, when he left to set up his own companies, Thomas MacMahon Ltd., contractors, and the Municipal & General Supply Co., which supplied heavy equipment and materials to county councils. In 1958, in partnership with the building contractor David McIlvenna, he founded Wavin Pipes, of which he was managing director until 1976.

Thomas MacMahon died in 1979. He had married Lucy Callaly in 1934 and had three sons and two daughters.

Address: 3 Temple Road, Rathmines, Dublin, 1973.


All information in this entry is from the entry on MacMahon in Who's who, what's what and where in Ireland (1973), 219, and from Brendan O'Donoghue.