SHAW, PROSSER AUSTIN HAYNES
- Born: 1853/54 Died: -
Engineer, with Guinness's brewery, Dublin, from 1871 until 1900 or later. Prosser Austin Haynes Shaw, who, according to the 1911 census, was born in Dublin in 1853 or 1854, studied engineering at Trinity College, Dublin. After obtaining the BAI degree circa 1870, he joined the works department of Guinness's brewery in Dublin in 1871 and remained with the company until at least 1900. He was assistant engineer to WESLEY WILLIAM WILSON and succeeded him as head of the works department on 1 April 1899.(1) His position was merged with that of head of the electrical and mechanical engineering section in 1901, when ARTHUR HOLLAND HIGNETT was appointed engineer-in-chief.(2) His pupils and assistants included MATTHEW FORTESCUE.& #160; The 1911 census records him as living at Dun Laoghaire with his second wife, Jemima, and a son and two daughters by his first marriage. The son, John F.P. Prosser, is described as a building surveyor.
ICEI: elected member, 1881.
Address: 91 Leinster Road, Rathmines, 1881; 21 Clarinda Park West, Dun Laoghaire, 1911.
All information in this entry not otherwise attributed is from ICEI membership applications, II, 95. A photograph of Prosser is in Michael P. Byrne, A History of the Market Street Storehouse (Dublin, 2001), 18.
(1) See ICEI membership application III, 114 (Matthew Fortescue).
(2) Byrne, op. cit., above, 18,20.