Dictionary of Irish Architects 1720 - 1940

William Butler in his book The Cathedral Church of the Holy Trinity Dublin (1901), though generally hostile to the restoration of the cathedral by GEORGE EDMUND STREET  GEORGE EDMUND STREET in 1871-1878, commends the carving of the capitals of the coupled shafts round the chancel apse: 'It was all executed, at the restoration , by a workman named Taylerson. whose name deserves to be handed down to posterity as an artist of very considerable skill.'(1)   John Edward Taylerson who, according to the English census returns, was the son of a train driver named William Taylerson, was born in Norton, Co. Durham, circa 1855. After his father's death, his mother moved  to Faversham, Kent.  He attended the Faversham School of Art, the South London School of Technical Art, and the Westminster School. of Art.  He is said to have worked for  the ecclesiastical sculptor THOMAS EARP  THOMAS EARP in London before setting up his own workshop in Wandsworth, London.  Works by Taylerson in England include the carving of the fa├žade of Lloyd's Registry in Fenchurch Street, London (with George Frampton) and of Thames House, Millbank, London, the statues of the wise and foolish virgins in the baptistery of the church of St John the Baptist, Holland Road, Kensington,(2) and a carved group for the war memorial at Warlingham, Surrey..


All information in this entry not otherwise attributed is from the biography of Taylerson in Mapping the profession of Sculpture in England and Ireland 1851-1951, http://sculpture.gla.ac.uk (last visited. Jan 2013).

(1) p. 13.
(2) St John the Baptist, Holland Road, http://www.stjohnthebaptisthollandroad.co.uk/history/ (last visited, Jan 2013).

1 work entries listed in chronological order for TAYLERSON, JOHN EDWARD *#

Sort by date | Sort alphabetically

Date: 1870s
Nature: Carving of capitals of paired shafts in choir apse to represent the Annunciation, the Salutation, the Adoration of the Shepherds, the Adoration of the Magi, the Circumcision and the Presentation in the Temple.
Refs: William Butler, The Cathedral Church of the Holy Trinity Dublin (1901), 13