Dictionary of Irish Architects 1720 - 1940

Port surveyor, Sligo, listed in the census of Elphin, 1749. William Cross and his wife are recorded as 'pro[testants]' with three children and three servants.(1) Cross came to Sligo in 1747 to take the place of the previous port surveyor, William Miller, who was sent to Dundalk . He was informed that he must do better than his predecessor.(2)


(1) Marie-Louise Legg, ed., The Census of Elphin 1749 (Irish Manuscripts Commission, 2004),534.
(2) Legg, op.cit., 554,n55.