DE WIND, ARTHUR HUGHES
- Born: - Died: -
'CE', of Comber, Co. Down. Arthur De Wind prepared designs 'gratuitously' for Comber Orange Hall in 1875(1) and was the engineer responsible for re-roofing and re-ceiling the Presbyterian church at Ballygowan, Co. Down, in 1897.(2) No other works by him are recorded in the Irish Builder.
De Wind married Margaret Jane Stone in Comber parish church on 12 April 1863.(3) Their son Edmund De Wind, of the Royal Irish Rifles, who was killed in action in France in 1918, was awarded the Victoria Cross posthumously for 'most conspicuous bravery and self-sacrifice'.(4)
Address: Kinvara, Comber, Co. Down.(5)
(1) Downpatrick Recorder, 25 Sep 1875.
(2) IB 39, 15 Oct 1897, 204.
(4) www.acquiweb.com/comber/dewind.asp; according to this source a large German gun was presented to the town as a memorial to him and was placed in the Square, where it remained until World War II, when it was taken for scrap. The inscription from the side of the gun was placed in the porch of the parish church.
(5) See note 4, above.
2 work entries listed in chronological order for DE WIND, ARTHUR HUGHES
|Building:||CO. DOWN, COMBER, ORANGE HALL|
|Nature:||New 2-storey gabled hall built of Scrabo stone on site given by Marquess of Londonderry. Plans prepared 'gratuitously' by 'Mr De Winne'. 'Chief' stone laid 18 Sep 1875.|
|Refs:||Downpatrick Recorder, 25 Sep 1875|
|Building:||CO. DOWN, BALLYGOWAN, PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH|
|Nature:||Tender of T. Morrow, Ballygowan, for re-roofing and re-ceiling same accepted.|
|Refs:||IB 39, 15 Oct 1897, 204|