ST AUBYN, JAMES PIERS #
- Born: 1815 Died: 1895
Architect, of London, for whom see Directory of British Architects 1834-1914 (RIBA 2001), II, 525. James St Aubyn was the architect of the parish church at Kilmalooda, Co. Cork,(1) built in 1857-58 by William Bence-Jones of Lisselane, Co. Cork, as a memorial to his daughters Alice and Laura, who died within two days of each other in December 1851.(2) Earlier in the 1850s Bence-Jones had built his house at Lisselane to designs by LEWIS VULLIAMY.& #160; Much later, in 1881, Bence-Jones appears to have commissioned St Aubyn to design a Protestant hall of residence at Queen's College, Cork.(3)
See WORKS, for Irish work only.
(1) Design for church in the RCB library; lithograph view exhibited ast Architectectural Exhibition, London, Apr 1859, see Civil Engineer and Architect's Journal 22 (Apr 1859), 107.
(2) Burke's Irish Family Records(1976), 640. Bence-Jones was a barrister, which could account for the choice of St Aubyn, who was surveyor to the Middle Temple from 1851 to 1885.
(3) Irish Times, 7 Sep 1881, 6; information from Ronnie Herlihy, Cork (2009).
2 work entries listed in chronological order for ST AUBYN, JAMES PIERS #
|Building:||CO. CORK, KILMALOODA, CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS (CI)|
|Nature:||New church with 3-bay nave, S porch, chancel with polygonal apse. For William Bence-Jones of Lisselane, Co. Cork, as a memorial to his daughters Alice and Laura, who died within two days of each other in December 1851. Dedicated 9 Sep 1858. Builder: Joseph Bryan, Dunmanway.|
|Refs:||Signed drawing, approved by Bishop of Cork 24 Dec 1856, in Representative Church Body Library, portfolio 25, see RCB Library - Architectural Drawings, https://archdrawing.ireland.anglican.org/items/show/2048 (last visited, feb 2017); B 16, 2 Oct 1858, 665; JCHAS (1922), 75; lithograph view exhibited at Architectectural Exhibition, London, Apr 1859, see Civil Engineer and Architect's Journal 22 (Apr 1859), 107.|
|Building:||CO. CORK, CORK, COLLEGE ROAD, UNIVERSITY COLLEGE|
|Nature:||Hall of residence with lecture room for Church of Ireland students (Berkeley Hall)). For William Bence-Jones in association with the Rev. Dr George Webster. To have been carried out by Bence-Jones's workmen under a foreman. After Bence Jones was boycotted, building was suspended and resumed by Webster with Delany as contractor only after Bence Jones had given up his association with the project. Opened 1884.
Information from Ronnie Herlihy, Cork (2009), citing Alfred G. Dann, George Webster - A Memoir (1892)., 109-137, and Ptrick Conlan, 'Berkeley Hall - St Anthony's Hall - Honan Hostel', JCHAS 100, 16-28.