Dictionary of Irish Architects 1720 - 1940

Ecclesiastical and general decorators, of Henry Street, Limerick. The firm of J. Hodkinson & Sons was established in 1852 by James Hodkinson, who, according to the firm's fiftieth anniversary brochure had 'studied under the famous Pugin'.(1) By the time of the fiftieth anniversary he had been joined by his sons, Louis, who had trained at the Royal College of Art in London, and Henry. The firm, which is still (2004) carried on in Limerick by Aubrey and Malcolm Hodkinson, has decorated churches throughout Ireland and also in England and Scotland, for over one hundred and fifty years.

Address: 53 & 54 Henry Street, Limerick, <=1902->=1952.

See WORKS (for work at St Patrick's church, Fermoy, Co. Cork, only).


(1) Souvenir of the 50th Anniversary of the establishment of the firm of Hodkinson & Sons, Ecclesiastical Decorators [1902]. The brochure (IAA, Acc.2003/58) contains photographs of James, Louis and Henry Hodkinson, and lists of buildings decorated by the firm with photographs of the interiors of the Redemptorist and Jesuit churches in Limerick and of Waterford Catholic Cathedral. The firm's church work is also listed with dates in another brochure produced in the mid 1980s (photocopy in IAA, Jones file H116a).

1 work entries listed in chronological order for HODKINSON, J., & SONS *

Sort by date | Sort alphabetically

Date: 1887;1903
Nature: Contract with James Hodkinson for painting and decorating church, Jul 1887. Cost: £500. Decoration of church, including cleaning of ceiling, varhishing of pillars, painting and decoration of galleries and sacristy Jun-Dec 1903. Cost: £232.6s.8d.
Refs: Parochial accounts of St Patrick's church, Fermoy (information from Mgr James O'Brien, Buttevant, Co. Cork, Aug 2010).