WALLACE, WILLIAM 
- Born: - Died: -
Builder, of Limerick, active from the 1840s until the late 1860s. Wallace, who was probably a son or near relative of WILLIAM WALLACE  , was one of four 'Civil Architects and Engineers' who signed a certificate attesting to the excellence of Limerick limestone for building which was sent to CHARLES BARRY in 1840.(1) Wallace is credited by Aengus Buckley with the remodelling of St Saviour's Catholic church, Limerick, in the 1860s,(2) but see GEORGE GOLDIE and GOLDIE & CHILD.
Addresses:(3) Pery Street, Limerick, 1842-1856; 11 Mallow Street, 1867 (as William Wallace & Sons).
(1) David Lee, 'James and George Pain - Gothic Architects' in David Lee & Christine Gonzalez, eds., Georgian Limerick 1714-1845 (Limerick Civic Trust, 2000), 248; Limerick limestone was one of the building stones turned down by Barry as suitable for the Houses of Parliament in favour of Bolsover stone.
(2) Lee, op.cit., 234, citing Aengus Buckley, OP, 'The Present Dominican Church' in Dominicans in Limerick 1227-1977 (1977), 30-31.
(3) Information extracted from Limerick City directories by Michael Maguire, Limerick City Library.
1 work entries listed in chronological order for WALLACE, WILLIAM 
|Building:||CO. LIMERICK, LIMERICK, BAKER'S PLACE, CHURCH OF ST SAVIOUR (RC, DOMINICAN)|
|Nature:||Heightening) of exterior and interior by 20 ft with addition of clerestory and rose window.|
|Refs:||David Lee, 'James and George Pain - Gothic Architects' in David Lee & Christine Gonzalez, eds., Georgian Limerick 1714-1845, II (Limerick Civic Trust, 2000), 234, citing Aengus Buckley, OP, 'The Present Dominican Church' in Dominicans in Limerick 1227-1977 (1977), 30-31; David Lee & Debbie Jacobs, James Pain, architect (Limerick Civic Trust, 2005), 34(illus.)|