Dictionary of Irish Architects 1720 - 1940

Stonecutter, of Dublin, active from 1729 or earlier until 1734 or later. In 1729 he signed an agreement to erect the stonework for a tower and steeple for St Werburgh's church, but the latter at least does not appear to have been carried out.(1) He also worked as a stonecutter at the Parliament House, from 1729,(2) at the Royal Hospital, 1731,(3) and at Steevens's Hospital, 1733-24.(4)

Borradale was admitted a freeman of Dublin in 1730 by act of parliament; according to McParland, this indicates that he had recently come from England.(5) If so, the William Borrodale whose birth in 1709 and marriage to Jane Taylor on 17 April 1734 are recorded in the registers of St Mary's Church, Dublin,(6) is presumably a different person.


(1) K. Severens, 'A new perspective on Georgian building practice; the rebuilding of St Werburgh's Church, Dublin (1754-59)', BIGS 35 (1992-93), 4; cf. Rev. S.C. Hughes, The Church of S. Werburgh, Dublin (1889), 26-27.
(2) JHCI 4, xxxi ff. (E.McP).
(3) NA/PRO RHK 1/1/4. (IAA, Edward McParland files, Acc. 2008/44).
(4) MS cash book of Michael Wills in IAA Acc. 81/88.
(5) E. McParland, Public Architecture in Ireland: 1680-1760 (2001), 191.
(6) www.familysearch.org.