Dictionary of Irish Architects 1720 - 1940

Architect, of Dublin. John Bourke was presumably a son or near connection of Patrick Bourke, builder, who was living in 1844 at 27 Richmond Street South,(1) the address from John Bourke submitted exhibits to the RHA between 1845 and 1850.(2) He himself is described as 'carpenter and builder' in Pettigrew and Oulton's directory for 1847, although he also appears as 'architect' in Thom's directory for 1845. In 1847 he was awarded first premium by Dublin Corporation for his design for Dublin baths and wash houses.(3) He was one of the earliest members of the Dublin Mechanics' Institute,(4) in which he always continued to take an active interest.(5) In 1851 he was selected as architect of the Mater Misericordiae Hospital and was authorized to visit England, Scotland, Belgium and France to inspect all the great hospitals in those countries.(6) Like this commission, almost all the works he carried out throughout his career were connected with the Catholic Church, and it was as a designer of churches, convents and related schools and institutions that he made his reputation.

Bourke died suddenly on 10 November 1871 in the consulting room of Dr Hayden of Harcourt Street, to whom he had gone on feeling unwell.(7) The description of his professional character in the obituary in the Irish Builder reinforces the impression that his early training was a practical one in the building trade: 'In his profession Mr Bourke was greatly esteemed by those with whom his associations brought him in contact. Gifted with talent of a high order, and particularly well versed in constructive architecture, he has been engaged upon numerous works throughout Ireland…We have often admired his specifications, which for their perspicuity, combined with brevity, could not be excelled, and which carefully express in short paragraphs what in other hands would occupy pages, yet from their wording, were impossible of being misinterpreted. Shrewd and intelligent to a degree in all difficult questions of constuctive building, his opinion was highly valued; and being of sterling honesty of purpose and of unswerving integrity, he was justice personified between contractor and client, and in this particular he had few equals, certainly none to surpass him.'(8) He was buried at Glasnevin cemetery on 14 November 1871.(9)

RIAI: elected fellow, 21 May 1863.(10)

Addresses: 27 South Richmond Street, Portobello, 1845-1854;(11) 13 Charlemont Street Lower 1855-1871.(12)

See WORKS.



References



(1) Post Office Dublin Directory for 1844. There is no evident connection with the John Bourke, builder, of Amiens Street, whose will dated 13 Apr 1848 is listed in Index of Irish Wills 1484-1858 (Eneclann CD-ROM), Document ID 7091.
(2) RHA 1845, no. 464; 1846, nos. 456,498; 1847, no. 497-7; 1850, no. 333.
(3) B 11, 19 Nov 1853, 701.
(4) DB 2, 1 Feb 1860, 201.
(5) Obituary in B 29, 18 Nov 1871, 911.
(6) IB 40, 15 Jan 1898, 14.
(7) Freeman's Journal, 13,15 Nov 1871.
(8) DB 13, 15 Nov 1871, 299.
(9) W. Fitzpatrick, History of Dublin Catholic Cemeteries (1900), 129.
(10) RIAI minutes, 21 May 1863, 127.
(11) Thom's Directory for 1845 and 1854; see also note 2, above.
(12) Thom's Directory for 1858-1865; RIAI Sessional Papers 1863-4 to 1869-70, list of members for session 1870-71.


60 work entries listed in chronological order for BOURKE, JOHN [2]


Sort by date | Sort alphabetically


Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, MARLBOROUGH STREET, ST MARY'S PRO-CATHEDRAL (RC)
Date: 1823
Nature: Work on nave ceiling supervised by JB.
Refs: Christine Casey, The Buildings of Ireland: Dublin (2005),  129.

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, CHAPELIZOD ROAD, CHURCH OF THE NATIVITY (RC)
Date: 1843-1849
Nature: -
Refs: RHA 1845, no. 464; 1847, no. 497; Irish Catholic Directory (1844), 326; 1846, 285-286; 1847, 300; 1850, 236; Clonliffe College Archive, MS P 1/2; Freeman's Journal, 5 Jun 1849

Building: CO. KERRY, DERRYNANE HOUSE
Date: 1845
Nature: Proposed additions by 'Bourke'
Refs: NLI MS. 13,633(2)

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, KINGSBRIDGE, RAILWAY STATION (GREAT SOUTHERN & WESTERN RAILWAY TERMINUS)
Date: 1845
Nature: Competition entrant
Refs: RHA 1846, no. 498; J. Sheehy, Kingsbridge Station (Gatherum I, 1973), 8

Building: CO. WICKLOW, BALTINGLASS, CHURCH OF ST JOSEPH (RC)
Date: 1846-1854
Nature: New church, attributed to JB by Archiseek.  FS laid 1846 by Rev. Daniel Lalor, PP.
Refs: E.P. O'Kelly, 'Historical notes on Baltinglass in modern times', Kildare Archaeological Society Journal 5 (1906-8), 338;  Archiseek, http://www.irish-architecture.com/buildings_ireland/wicklow/baltinglass/st_josephs_lge.html (last visited Oct 2009).

Building: CO. TIPPERARY, CLONMEL, IRISHTOWN, CHURCH OF ST MARY (RC)
Date: 1846;1854
Nature: Submits proposal, 1846; supervises completion of Keane's design from 1854, ie.e. completion of interior walls and ceiling, erection of portico. Entire expenditure to be circa £8,500.
Refs: RHA 1846, no. 456; B 12, 15 Jul 1854, 378

Building: CO. WESTMEATH, ATHLONE, ST MARY'S PLACE, CHURCH OF ST MARY (RC)
Date: 1846;1857-1861
Nature: New church. Cruciform,. Early English style. FS laid 29 Jun 1857. Cost: £6,000. Wicklow granite columns divide nave from aisles. Open timberwork roof. Tenders invited for plastering and stucco, 1860.
Refs: RHA 1846, No. 456; Cavan Observer, 11 Jul 1857; B 15, 25 Jul 1857, 424; 16, 7 Aug 1858, 539; 18, 2 Jun 1860, 347; 19, 2 Nov 1861, 753; DB 2, 1 Apr,1 Jul 1860, 240,301; 3, 1 Nov,15 Dec 1861, 673,712

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, WINETAVERN STREET, WHITEHORSE YARD, PUBLIC BATHS (PROPOSED)
Date: 1847
Nature: JB prepares plans for Dublin Corporation for erecting public baths. Awarded first premium for same but baths not executed. 
Refs: B 11, 19 Nov 1853, 701 ; Irish Times, 24 Jul 1873.

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, WINETAVERN STREET, WHITEHORSE YARD, PUBLIC BATHS (PROPOSED)
Date: 1847
Nature: JB prepares plans for Dublin Corporation for erecting public baths. Awarded first premium for same but baths not executed. 
Refs: B 11, 19 Nov 1853, 701 ; Irish Times, 24 Jul 1873.

Building: CO. LOUTH, CLONMORE, CHURCH OF ST COLUMBKILLE (RC)
Date: 1850
Nature: New Gothic cruciform church 'about being erected…at the angle of the south elevation there is to be a large square and lofty tower, with buttresses, and surmounted by a spire'. Bourke exhibits design of 'intended' new church at RHA, 1850. (Was this church executed? See LOU, TOGHER, CHURCH OF ST COLUMBKILLE.)
Refs: RHA 1850, no. 333; B 8, 24 Aug 1850, 404,406

Building: CO. DUBLIN, MONKSTOWN, BELGRAVE SQUARE
Date: 1850
Nature: South side.
Refs: B 8, 5 Oct 1850, 473

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, CIRCULAR ROAD NORTH (PHIBSBOROUGH), CHURCH OF ST PETER (RC)
Date: 1850-1853
Nature: Additions, including tower and spire at E end; new front.  His work later 'entirely swept away'(Casey).
Refs: B 8, 12 Oct 1850, 488; 11, 10 Dec 1853, 746;  Christine Casey, The Buildings of Ireland: Dublin (2005), 277-8


Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, RATOATH ROAD (CABRA), ST MARY'S DOMINICAN CONVENT
Date: 1850-1853;1854;
Nature: Addition of 2 wings; enlargement of the female department of the Deaf & Dumb Institution; infirmary, 2nd campanile &c
Refs: B 8, 5 Oct 1850, 473; 11, 5 Feb 1853, 90; 12, 10 Jun 1854, 305; DB 3, 1 Jan 1861, 391

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUN LAOGHAIRE, GEORGE'S STREET LOWER, ST MARY'S DOMINICAN CONVENT
Date: 1850;1861
Nature: Additions; new laundry, schools
Refs: B 8, 5 Oct 1850, 473; DB 3, 1 Jan 1861, 391

Building: CO. LONGFORD, LONGFORD, ST MEL'S ROAD, CATHEDRAL OF ST MEL (RC)
Date: 1854-1863
Nature: Completion of Keane's design with campanile to his own design (rather than Keane's original design). Contractor: John Mullins.
Refs: B 12, 15 Apr 1854, 196-7; 18, 11 Aug 1860, 512; 20, 7 Jun 1862, 412; DB 2, 1 Apr,1 Aug 1860, 240,313; 3, 15 Jan,1 Jun,15 Dec 1861, 409,531,712; 5, 1 Feb 1863, 20

Building: CO. WESTMEATH, MULLINGAR, COLLEGE STREET, HEVEY INSTITUTE (ST MARY'S COLLEGE)
Date: 1854-58
Nature: School for 600-800 pupils, for Christian Brothers. Italianate, forming three sides of quadrangle. Builder: Davis, Trim. Completed & occupied by Sep 1858. Cost about £6,500. Founded and endowed by James Hevey of Mullingar.
Refs: B 12, 10 Jun 1854, 305; 16, 11 Sep 1858, 617; DB 5, 15 Jun 1863, 101.

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, ECCLES STREET, MATER MISERICORDIAE HOSPITAL
Date: 1855-1861
Nature: New hospital for Sisters of Mercy. FS laid Sept or Oct 1855. Opened 24 Sep 1861.
Refs: B 13, 13 Oct 1855, 486; 16, 30 Oct 1858, 723; DB 3, 1 Oct 1861, 647; IB 40, 15 Jan 1898, 14;  Christine Casey, The Buildings of Ireland: Dublin (2005), 281-2.


Building: CO. ARMAGH, ARMAGH, CONVENT ROAD, MOUNT ST CATHERINE, CONVENT OF THE SACRED HEART & SCHOOLS
Date: 1857-58
Nature: Large convent on 16 acre site in elevated position. FS laid 30 Apr 1857. Central part of limestone ashlar with pedimented central portioncompleted for £6,500.   Foundation stone laid, Apr or May 1857. Contractor: McGaughey, Armagh. Preparations being made for adding 2 wings. Poor schools in progress in grounds.
Refs: Armagh Guardian, 1 May 1857; Freeman's Journal, 13 May 1857 (advertisement for tenders); B 15, 13 Jun 1857, 343; 16, 2 Oct 1858, 666; R. McKinstry, R. Oram, R. Weatherup, P. Wilson, The Buildings of Armagh (UAHS, 1992), 93;  Kevin V. Mulligan, The Buildings of Ireland: South Ulster (2013), 119.

Building: CO. KILDARE, ATHY, CONVENT OF MERCY
Date: 1858
Nature: Adds. in progress, including schools, classrooms, cells, infirmary, novitiate, kitchen, choir, &c.
Refs: B 16, 11 Sep 1858, 617

Building: CO. WESTMEATH, DRUMRANEY, CHURCH OF ST MARY (RC)
Date: 1858
Nature: Small cruciform church erected, c. 90 ft long, 80 ft across transepts. Nave 22 ft wide furnished with sacristy, baptistry, entrance porch and small belfry. Triple lancets in gables, single lancets in nave and transepts. Cost about £1,100.
Refs: B 16, 11 Sep 1858, 617; illus. in http://www.buildingsofireland.ie/niah/search.jsp?type=record&county=WM®no=15402304

Building: CO. CARLOW, BALLYCONNELL, CHURCH (RC)
Date: 1858
Nature: To be restored.
Refs: B 16, 2 Oct 1858, 666

Building: CO. DUBLIN, BOOTERSTOWN, BOOTERSTOWN AVENUE, CONVENT OF MERCY
Date: 1858
Nature: Extensive adds & alts (including poor schools, dormitory, refectory and choir) have been made.
Refs: B 16, 11 Sep 1858, 617

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, BAGGOT STREET LOWER, CONVENT OF SISTERS OF MERCY
Date: 1858
Nature: Additions, including chapel. Tiled floor in chapel by Maw & Co. of Stoke-on-Trent.
Refs: B 16, 11 Sep 1858, 617;  Christine Casey, The Buildings of Ireland: Dublin (2005), 564.

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, EXCHANGE STREET LOWER, SS. MICHAEL & JOHN'S PAROCHIAL SCHOOLS (RC)
Date: 1858
Nature: Large parochial schools just completed at cost of £650. (Gutted, 1996.)
Refs: B 16, 2 Oct 1858, 666;  Christine Casey, The Buildings of Ireland: Dublin (2005), 347.


Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, FRANCIS STREET, CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS OF MYRA (RC)
Date: 1858
Nature: JB supervises completion of Leeson's design
Refs: B 16, 2 Oct 1858, 666; 17, 12 Nov 1859, 750

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, GLASNEVIN, SACRED HEART CONVENT
Date: 1858
Nature: -
Refs: B 16, 2 Oct 1858, 666

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, TYRCONNELL ROAD (INCHICORE), HOUSE OF IMMACULATE CONCEPTION
Date: 1858-1862
Nature: 1st stone laid, 1858. lst section completed, 1862, forming one side of intended quadrangle, which will be completed by a contemplated church.
Refs: DB 1, 1 Jan 1859, 9; 2, 1 Apr 1860, 240; 4, 1 Apr 1862, 86. Two drawings (dated 1882) for proposed alterations and additions in IAA, Ashlin & Coleman Collection, 76/1.189. Survey drawing, dated 22 July 1949, also in IAA, Ashlin & Coleman Collection, 76/1.238.

Building: CO. MEATH, NAVAN, CHURCH OF ST MARY (RC)
Date: 1858;1861
Nature: Alts & adds; extensive improvements (division into nave and side aisles, apse, side chapels, 2 towers at W. end, new front)
Refs: B 16, 9 Oct 1858, 682; DB 3, 1 Jun 1861, 531; Christine Casey & Alistair Rowan, The Buildings of Ireland: North Leinster (1993), 429

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, ST VINCENT STREET (GOLDENBRIDGE), ST VINCENT DE PAUL REFORMATORY
Date: 1858;1861
Nature: -
Refs: B 16, 11 Sep 1858, 617; DB 3, 1 Jan 1861, 391

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, SEVILLE PLACE, CHURCH OF ST LAURENCE O'TOOLE (RC)
Date: 1858;1861-1862
Nature: Completion of church begun by J.B. Keane; new tower and spire; parochial house
Refs: Clonliffe College Archies, MS. P1/2; B 16, 9 Oct 1858, 682; 19, 3 Aug 1861, 534; DB 3, 1 Jul 1861, 564; 4, 1 Jun,15 Aug,15 Oct 1862, 141,214,267;  Christine Casey, The Buildings of Ireland: Dublin (2005), 133.

Building: CO. LONGFORD, LENAMORE, CHURCH (RC)
Date: 1860
Nature: Small church about to be built. Early Pointed style; 80 x 22 ft. Expected cost: £650. Other buildings contemplated.
Refs: DB 2, 1 Apr 1860, 240; B 18, 28 Apr 1860, 267

Building: CO. DUBLIN, BLACKROCK, SION HILL, ST CATHERINE'S DOMINICAN CONVENT
Date: 1860
Nature: Large additions including 3-storey wing, transept to chapel, poor school, &c.
Refs: B 18, 11 Aug 1860, 512; DB 2, 1 Aug 1860, 317

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, ABBEY STREET LOWER, NO. 027 (MECHANICS' INSTITUTE)
Date: 1860
Nature: Alterations to lecture room platform.
Refs: Irish Times, 17 Jan 1860;  DB 2, 1 Feb 1860, 201

Building: CO. DOWN, NEWRY, KILMOREY STREET, CONVENT OF MERCY
Date: 1860-1861
Nature: Schools and laundry. Contractor: Wm Byrne, Newry
Refs: DB 2, 1 Apr,1 Jun 1860, 240,266; 3, 1 Jan 1861, 391; B 18, 28 Apr,2 Jun 1860, 267,347

Building: CO. LONGFORD, GRANARD, CHURCH OF ST MARY (RC)
Date: 1860-1861
Nature: New cruciform church with tower and spire to be built on site granted by Richard Greville, Aug 1859. Transitional style. Tenders invited, Apr 1860. FS laid 8 Sep 1860. Almost ready for roofing, Dec 1861. Dedicated 5 May 1867.
Refs: DB 2, 1 Apr 1860, 240; 3, 15 Jun,15 Dec 1861, 546,712; B 18, 28 Apr 1860, 267; Longford Year Book (1928), ?

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, CLONLIFFE ROAD, HOLY CROSS COLLEGE
Date: 1860-1861
Nature: -
Refs: DB 2, 1 Aug 1860, 311; 3, 1 Jul 1861, 563,569; B 18, 11 Aug 1860, 512; Clonliffe College Archive, MS. P 342/2

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, HALSTON STREET, ST MICHAN'S CHURCH (RC)
Date: 1861
Nature: Alterations.
Refs: DB 3, 15 Jul 1861, 578

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, HALSTON STREET, NO. 012-13 (ST MICHAN'S PRESBYTERY)
Date: 1861
Nature: New.
Refs: DB 3, 15 Jul 1861, 578

Building: CO. LONGFORD, LONGFORD, CONVENT OF MERCY, CONVENT SCHOOL & NATIONAL SCHOOLS
Date: 1861-1862;1872-74
Nature: 2 national schools, convent and convent schools, for Sisters of Mercy on 12-acre site adjoining cathedral given by Earl of Longford. Estimated cost £30,000. Convent not built until 1872-74, according to Cobbe. Builder of convent: P. Kelly.
Refs: DB 3, 15 Mar 1861, 461; 4, 1 Apr 1862, 86; Derek Cobbe, 75 Years of Longford 1897-1972(Longford Leader: 1972), ?;

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, CITY QUAY, CHURCH OF THE IMMACULATE HEART OF MARY (RC)
Date: 1861-1863
Nature: New church for seamen. Simple Gothic hall with gabled front.
Refs: Clonliffe College Archive, MS. P1/2; DB 3, 1 Sep,1 Oct 1861, 621,646; 5, 1 Oct 1863, 165;  Christine Casey, The Buildings of Ireland: Dublin (2005), 453.


Building: CO. DOWN, NEWRY, CONVENT OF MERCY
Date: 1861-62
Nature: New convent for Sisters of Mercy. Builder: William Byrne, Newry. To cost £4,000. Completion expected in spring of 1862.
Refs: DB 2, 1 Jun 1860, 266; 3, 15 Dec 1861, 712; B 18, ? ?, ? ? 1860, 267,347;

Building: CO. WESTMEATH, MOATE, CHURCH OF ST PATRICK (RC)
Date: 1861-63;1867
Nature: Early English Gothic. Tenders invited Jul 1861. FS laid Oct 1861. Contractor: John Mulloy, Tullamore. Disagreement between JB and parish priest caused project to be shelved until 1867 when William Caldbeck was brought in (Casey & Rowan).
Refs: Freeman's Journal, 5 Jul 1861;  DB 3, 15 Jul,15 Sep,1 Nov 1861, 576,637,673; 5, 15 Apr 1863, 68,69(illus.); Christine Casey & Alistair Rowan, The Buildings of Ireland: North Leinster (1993), 395.

Building: CO. WATERFORD, WATERFORD, LADY LANE, FRANCISCAN CHURCH (RC)
Date: 1862
Nature: Enlargement and improvements. Contractor: O'Connor, Wexford.
Refs: DB 4, 1 Apr 1862, 86; Wexford Independent, 19 Jul 18621 (information kindly supplied by Conor O'Brien, Annacurra, Co. Wicklow)

Building: CO. KILDARE, ATHY, CONVENT OF MERCY POOR SCHOOLS
Date: 1862
Nature: About to be erected.
Refs: DB 4, 1 Apr 1862, 86

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, GEORGE'S HILL, PRESENTATION CONVENT SCHOOL
Date: 1862
Nature: New school building begun. To contain 4 schools of 40 x 20 ft each, entrance hall, stairs, classrooms, cloakrooks &c. Exterior faced with red brick. To cost about £2000.
Refs: DB 4, 1 Apr 1862, 86

Building: CO. LONGFORD, LONGFORD, ST MEL'S ROAD, ST MEL'S COLLEGE
Date: 1862-63
Nature: New seminary on site adjoining cathedral. 200 ft sq and three storeys high. For Rt Rev. John Kilduff, Bishop of Ardagh. In progress by Feb 1863. Cost: £16,500. Contractor: Kelly, Granard.
Refs: DB 3, 15 Dec 1861, 712'; 5, 1 Feb 1863, 20

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, CLONTARF ROAD, HOUSE (001)(GRACEDIEU?)
Date: 1862-63
Nature: Terrace of 5 houses near Vernon Avenue, 2 storeys at each end and 1 storey in between. Red brick with oriel windows and 'neat capping cornices'. House at W end of terrace designed by JB for Patrick Kenny, Earl Street  (other 4 houses built for Geo. Tickell to designs by J.J. Lyons).Builder: Hughes.
Refs: DB 4, 1 May 1862, 108; 5, 1 Apr,15 May 1863, 63,84;  Irish Times, 24 Jan 1863.

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, CLARENDON STREET, CHURCH OF ST TERESA (RC, DISCALCED CARMELITES)
Date: 1862-65
Nature: Extension, including transept, belfry, ornamental gateway. Also 2 houses on Grafton St. Builder: John P. Beardwood & Son, Westland Row. Extension opened 28 Feb 1865.
Refs: DB 4, 15 Jan 1862, 17; 5, 15 Nov 1863, 189; St Teresa's Church and Monastery, Clarendon Street. Historical Note (leaflet, 1993ca);  Christine Casey, The Buildings of Ireland: Dublin (2005), 472-3.


Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, SYNGE STREET, CHRISTIAN BROTHERS' CONVENT AND SCHOOLS
Date: 1863
Nature: -
Refs: DB 5, 1 Mar,1 Apr,1 May 1863, 42,63,80

Building: CO. DUBLIN, CASTLEKNOCK, ST BRIGID'S SCHOOL
Date: 1864
Nature: FS laid 17 Jul 1864
Refs: Jones, citing inscription, source not given

Building: CO. DUBLIN, MALAHIDE?, CHURCH (RC)
Date: 1864
Nature: 'Mr Borke architect' paid £1.5s for work at Malahide or Swords
Refs: Clonliffe College Archive, MS. P 23/3 (Malahide accounts)

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, MOUNTJOY STREET, NO. 060-61 (ST JOSEPH'S FEMALE ORPHANAGE)
Date: 1865
Nature: New brown brick and granite orphanage and schools.
Refs: DB 7, 15 May 1865, 132;  Christine Casey, The Buildings of Ireland: Dublin (2005), 279


Building: CO. DOWN, NEWRY, ST CLARE'S CONVENT SCHOOL
Date: 1866-68
Nature: New 3-storey school house. Begun Summer 1866. Completed Spring 1868. Cost £2,500. Contractor: B. Magennis, Newry.
Refs: DB 8, 1 Sep 1866, 218; IB 10, 1 Apr 1868, 89; E. Campbell, Ecclesiastical Buildings in the Diocese of Dromore (1940), 5

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, GLOUCESTER STREET LOWER, MAGDALEN ASYLUM
Date: 1868
Nature: 'Just completed; 'substantial and commodious building…extends from the old premises into Lr. Gloucester-street, where a broad front of three storeys in height is presented'.Builder: Mr Duggan.
Refs: IB 10, 15 Jan 1868, 24

Building: CO. DUBLIN, LUSK, CHURCH (RC, OLD)
Date: 1869
Nature: Re-roofing for Very Rev. Nicholas O'Farrell, PP.  Tenders invited, Aug 1869.
Refs: Freeman's Journal, 26 Aug 1869.

Building: CO. WICKLOW, BRAY, MAIN STREET, CHURCH OF THE HOLY REDEEMER (RC)
Date: 1871
Nature: Tenders invited for enlargement of vestry and improvement of approach, Sep 1861.
Refs: Irish Times, 15 Sep 1871.

Building: CO. LONGFORD, GRANARD, PAROCHIAL HOUSE
Date: 1871-72
Nature: For Very Rev. E. McGaver. Offices designed by John P. Davis.
Refs: IB 15, 1 Jan 1873, 15

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, SEVILLE PLACE, ST LAURENCE'S PAROCHIAL HOUSE
Date: 1872
Nature: New. 3-storeys over basement with 'minimal Lombardic ornament' (Casey).
Refs: Christine Casey, The Buildings of Ireland: Dublin (2005), 180.


Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, TOWNSEND STREET, WESTMORELAND LOCK HOSPITAL
Date: ?
Nature: Design for altarpiece by J. Bourke
Refs: Wide Streets Commissioners drawings (reference from E. McP)

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, BOW LANE, ST PATRICK'S HOSPITAL
Date: ?
Nature: Proposed laundry and drying room &c.
Refs: 2 plans in St Patrick's Hospital archives, F/9/8a