Engineer, of Kells, Co. Meath. Charles Francis Bomford, fourth son of John Francis Bomford, of Oakley Park, Co. Meath, and his wife Elinor, née Bolton, was born on 13 March 1878. In 1891 he was sent to school at Denstone College, Uttoxeter, Staffordshire, where he remained until 1897. Between 1899 and 1902 he attended Chesterfield Technical Education College, while serving a pupilage locally and attending lectures in mining. He then returned to Ireland, where he had six months of private tuition from MARMADUKE BACKHOUSE . By 1906 he had been appointed an assistant county surveyor for Co. Meath. He had become engineer to Kells Rural District Council in or before 1909. He was appointed town surveyor of Kells in 1930 and was still in the post in 1934. He died in 1961, survived by his wife, Dorothy Maud, daughter of the Rev. John Price, of Lanwergan, Brecon, whom he had married on 12 August 1914, and a daughter. He was a captain in the Leinster Regiment.
ICEI: associate member, 1906; still a member in 1960.
Addresses: Oakley Park, Kells, Co. Meath, <=1913->=1922; Priory Cottage, Kilmainham, Kells, <=1930->=1948; Barnane, Templemore, Co. Tipperary, 1950-1954; Garryannagh, Ballycommon, Nenagh, Co. Tipperary, 1955-1958; Inglebrook, Ballywilliamroe, Bagenalstown, Co. Carlow, 1960.
All information in this entry not otherwise accounted for is from Burke’s Irish Family Records (1976), 154, ICEI membership applications, IV, 13, and ICEI membership lists in TICEI and Thom's directories.
IB 51, 4 Sep 1909, 575.
IB 72, 15 Feb 1930, 140.
Thom's Directory 1934.