Dictionary of Irish Architects 1720 - 1940

Architect, of London, for whom see Howard Colvin, A Biographical dictionary of British architects 1600-1840 (4th edn., 2008), 1077-1080, and Directory of British Architects 1834-1914 (RIBA 2001), II, 878. At the Royal Academy in 1834 Lewis Vulliamy exhibited designs for alterations at Emo Park, Co. Laois, for the Earl of Portarlington and at Clydagh House, Co. Galway, for Sir George Thomas Staunton, Bt.(1) A list of his works - 'precisely as left by Mr Vulliamy' - which was published in The Builder a few weeks after his death omits these schemes but includes alterations at 'Mucross Estate at Killarney' for 'H. Herbert, esq.'.(2) It is not known what these were; the house itself was rebuilt to designs by WILLIAM BURN  WILLIAM BURN in 1839-1843. The list in The Builder also omits Garron Tower, Co. Antrim, where Vulliamy designed additions for Frances Vane, Marchioness of Londonderry in 1852.(3)

Some designs by Vulliamy for Emo Court dating from 1832-33, including two signed drawings and and six bearing his office address at 163 Regent Street, are among the Emo Court drawings in the Irish Architectural Archive (Acc. 91/101).



(1) Vulliamy had already designed lodges and a library for Staunton at his English seat, Leigh Park, Hampshire.
(2) B 29, 25 Feb 1871, 142; Colvin omits Muckross from his list of Vulliamy's works in the 3rd edition of his dictionary.
(3) C.E.B. Brett, Historic Buildings…in the Glens of Antrim (UAHS, 1971), 22-23,24(illus.).

5 work entries listed in chronological order for VULLIAMY, LEWIS #

Sort by date | Sort alphabetically

Date: 1832-33
Nature: Alts. & adds. (kitchen wing, carriage gates, north front portico) for John Dawson, 2nd Earl of Portarlington.
Refs: Drawings (2 signed, 6 bearing office address and probably others) in IAA, Emo Court collection, Acc. 91/101; RA 1834, no. 913; E. McParland, 'Emo Court - II', 1846,1847(illus.)

Date: 1834
Nature: LV exhibits view of same, 'shewing the proposed alterations' for Sir George Thomas Staunton, Bt., at RA 1834, 'of which at least porch was built' (Colvin)
Refs: RA 1834, no. 929; Howard Colvin, A Biographical dictionary of British architects 1600-1840 (4th edn., 2008), 1079; for woodcut of house 'taken from a photograph' see William Wilde, Lough Corrib, its Shores and Islands (1867), 97

Date: 1836-7
Nature: Adds. at 'Muckross Estate, Killarney' for H. Herbert on list of V's work in Builder. (Are these proposals for main house, which was rebuilt to designs by William Burn, 1839-43, or possibly cottage near lake built for H.Herbert mentioned in Tourists' Illustrated Handbook (1854), 114?)
Refs: B 29, 25 Feb 1871, 142

Date: 1848?;1852
Nature: Addition of hall, 1852, by LV for Frances Anne, Marchioness of Londonderry; 'it seems plainly established - though technically unproven - that Vulliamy was responsible for the original design as well as for the additions' (Brett).  FS for original tower 'laid by Lady Londonderry "with her own fair hand"', Mar 1848.
Refs: Signed designs for proposed additions (hall, chapel, tower, dairy), 1852, in Antrim Estate Office, Glenarm, Co. Antrim; 'Plans for proposeed new hall, 1852 (same as preceding?) in PRONI, Antrim Papers, D2977/37/8/1/3A (design for hall exh. Ulster Architecture 1800-1900 (Ulster Museum/UAHS, 1972), no. 29); B 6, 25 Mar 1848, 152; C.E.B. Brett, Historic Buildings…in the Glens of Antrim (UAHS, 1971), 22-23,24(illus.).

Date: 1851053
Nature: New house in simplified French chateau style, for William Bence-Jones.
Refs: Mark Bence-Jones, Burke’s Guide to Country Houses. Volume I, Ireland. (London, 1978), 188-9(illus.).