- Born: - Died: -
Sculptor, architect and builder, of Dublin and Kilkenny. Charles Vierpyl is said to have been a son of SIMON VIERPYL. (1) He was admitted a Freeman of Dublin as a member of the Guild of Masons by virtue of service at Midsummer 1774.(2) According to Strickland he worked as a sculptor at 15 North Earl Street, Dublin from 1778 until 1781.(3) He was architect of the new premises for Kilkenny College, built between 1781 and 1787,(4) and is listed as an architect and builder, of Castle Hill, Kilkenny, in a Kilkenny directory for 1788.(5) By the early 1790s he was back in the Dublin area: Bryan Bolger records measuring stone and brickwork for him 'at his new Building in Buckingham Street' in 1792(6) and measuring stonework at four houses in Fairview for John Beresford 'per order of Charles Vierpyle Esqr' the following year.(7) He does not appear in the Dublin directories during this period. He was still living in 1807 when Simon Vierpyl appointed him his executor.(8)
(1) W.G. Strickland, A Dictionary of Irish Artists (1913), II, 490. Simon Vierpyl married in December 1758; if Charles Vierpyl was a son of this marriage, he must have been born soon afterwards as he had completed his apprenticeship by Michaelmas 1774 when he became a freeman of Dublin. McParland notes that although he is named as Simon Vierpyl's executor in the latter's will he is not named as a son.
(2) 'An alphabetical list of the Freemen of the City of Dublin, 1774-1824', The Irish Ancestor XV (1983), Nos. 1 & 2, 123.
(3) See note 1, above.
(4) JHCI11, cclxxxiii (IAA, Edward McParland files, Acc. 2008/44).
(5) IAA, Edward McParland files, Acc. 2008/44.
(6) Bryan Bolger MSS, NA/PRO 1A/58/127.
(7) Bryan Bolger MSS, NA/PRO 1A/58/124.
(8) Will of Simon Vierpyl in NA/PRO (IAA, Edward McParland files, Acc. 2008/44).
2 work entries listed in chronological order for VIERPYL, CHARLES
|Building:||CO. KILKENNY, KILKENNY, PARADE, KILKENNY CASTLE|
|Nature:||'Built to designs attributable to an obscure architect by the name of Charles Vierpyl'|
|Refs:||An Introduction to the Architectural Heritage of County Kilkenny (Nastional Inventory of Architectural Heritage, 2006), 33|
|Building:||CO. KILKENNY, KILKENNY, JOHN STREET LOWER, KILKENNY COLLEGE|
|Nature:||New college building designed by CP. Rev. Dr John Ellison induced Irish Parliament to grant £4,454.9s.11¼ towards cost of same, 1781.|
|Refs:||.McP files, citing Jhof C II, cclxxxiii; S. Lewis, A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837), II, 113; JRSAI (1950), 60-63|