BOLTON, SAMUEL HENRY *
- Born: 1828/9 Died: 1897
Builder, of Dublin. Samuel Henry Bolton was one of the leading builders in Dublin. His directory entries chart a steady accretion of substance and respectability. From being simply a builder in South Richmond Street in the 1850s and 1860s, he acquired a timber and stone yard in South Circular Road, iron works at Portobello Harbour, and a residence in Rathmines Road in the 1870s. He then moved his entire business out to Rathmines Road, to a site adjacent to the Grand Canal. By 1883 he was described as 'builder and contractor, proprietor sawing, planing and moulding mills, joinery, and iron works, slate, brick, tile, and cement merchant, manufacturing locksmith, fire-proof safe maker, gas fitter, painter, plumber, and hot water apparatus fitter' and had acquired a second residence at Bray.
From about 1872 Bolton was a member of the Rathmines and Rathgar Township Commission, serving as chairman of the waterworks committee and as such involved in the Glenasmole water supply scheme. In the 1880s he became a JP for Co. Dublin. He was also chairman of the Killaloe Slate Company. He died on 15 August 1897 at the age of sixty-eight. He was married twice: first to Anne Parker (d. 1862), by whom he was the father of SAMUEL HENRY BOLTON  (b. 1861) and Francis Parker Bolton (b. 1862); second to Emma Denne, who bore him four more sons, Richard Denne Bolton (b. 1864), George Henry Bolton (b. 1867),(1) Albert Denne Bolton, KC (b. 1873) and William P. Bolton.(2) The firm of S.H. Bolton & Sons continued under the ownership of George and Richard Denne Bolton until 1927.
Addresses: 8 Redmond's Hill, 1853; 28 South Richmond Street, 1857; 38-41 South Richmond Street, 1858->=1863; 37-40 South Richmond Street (also South Circular Road and Portobello Harbour), 1874; 156 Rathmines Road,1875->=1883; 157 Rathmines Road, 1887; 164 Rathmines Road, 1896.
Home: Beverston, Rathmines Road', 1874; Grove House, Rathmines road', 1875; Grove House, Rathmines, and Rath-na-Seer, Bray, <=1883->=1896.
All information in this entry is from Dictionary of Irish Biography, ed. by James McGuire and James Quinn, 9 vols. (Cambridge University Press, 2009), 647, Thom's and Post Office directories, from www.familysearch.org and from Mitchell Adams (by e-mail, Jan 2011).
(1) George Henry Bolton trained as a locomotive engineer and became a member of ICEI in 1895 (ICEI membership applications, III, 28).
(2) Perhaps identifiable as the forty-four year old brickmaker, William P. Bolton, who is recorded as living in Stillorgan, Co. Dublin, inthe 1901 census of Ireland.
13 work entries listed in chronological order for BOLTON, SAMUEL HENRY *
|Building:||CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, NORTH WALL QUAY, NO. 071 (DUBLIN & GLASGOW STEAM PACKET CO.)|
|Refs:||DB 4, 15 Jun 1862, 155|
|Building:||CO. DUBLIN, MONKSTOWN, SALTHILL, SALTHILL HOTEL|
|Nature:||Adds. to designs by McCurdy|
|Refs:||DB 6, 15 Nov 1864, 237; 7, 1 Nov 1865, 234|
|Building:||CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, ASTON'S QUAY, NO. 014-18 (MCBIRNEY)|
|Nature:||Alterations. Archt: J. Rawson Carroll|
|Refs:||IAA, PKS missing account book (old ref.A/5) and A03 (Mar 1864, Feb 1868, pp. ?, 103v)|
|Building:||CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, STEEVENS'S LANE, STEEVENS'S HOSPITAL|
|Nature:||Adds. to designs by McCurdy|
|Refs:||IB 10, 1 Jun 1868, 144|
|Building:||CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, WESTMORELAND STREET, NO. 019-21 (DUBLIN PORT & DOCK BOARD)|
|Refs:||IB 10, 15 Feb 1868, 40|
|Building:||CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, LEESON PARK, MOLYNEUX BLIND SCHOOLS & WORKSHOP (PROPOSED)|
|Nature:||Proposed school and workshops for male blind. Archt: J. Rawson Carroll. Estimated cost: £3,377. (Scheme abandoned because of opening of Richmond Institute in 1877 and parochial hall (Litton Hall) built on site instead.)
|Refs:||IAA, PKS B06a/45, B07/35, A06 (Aug 1876)|
|Building:||CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, COLLEGE GREEN, NO. 017 (GUINNESS, MAHON)|
|Nature:||Archt: J. Rawson Carroll|
|Refs:||IAA, PKS B10/26 (pp.734,789), B11/6 (p.795), A06 (Sep 1881, old ref. C/1)|
|Building:||CO. MEATH, BALRATH BURRY|
|Nature:||Farm office, manure pit and tank, for Christopher Armytage Nicholson. Archts: Carroll & Pentland. Cost: £5,199.|
|Refs:||IAA, PKS B12/26 (pp.509,525,986), A07, p.141 (Oct 1883-Sep 1884)|
|Building:||CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, BARRACK STREET, HOUSING|
|Nature:||Artisans' dwellings (3 blocks) for Dublin corporation. Archt: D.J. Freeman. Estimated cost of tender, £7,303.|
|Refs:||IAA, PKS A07 (Apr 1888, p.318)|
|Building:||CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, COLLEGE GREEN, TRINITY COLLEGE, LIBRARY (OLD)|
|Nature:||Filling in of library arcades. Archt: Thomas Drew. Contractor: Bolton|
|Refs:||IAA, PKS A07 (Apr 1890); IB 33, 1 Jan 1891, 12|
|Building:||CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, MERRION ROAD, MASONIC GIRLS' SCHOOL|
|Nature:||Infirmary. Archt: Wm. Mitchell|
|Refs:||IAA, PKS A07 (Jul 1892)|
|Building:||CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, KILDARE STREET, LEINSTER HOUSE (ROYAL DUBLIN SOCIETY, LECTURE THEATRE)|
|Nature:||For Board of Works.|
|Refs:||IAA, PKS A07 (Aug 1893); IB 43, 27 Feb 1901, 643|
|Building:||CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, COLLEGE GREEN, NO. 006-8 (JURY'S HOTEL)|
|Nature:||Alterations. Architect unknown.|
|Refs:||IAA, PKS B17/34, A08 (Apr 1897)|