TURNER, WILLIAM *
- Born: 1827 Died: 1889
Ironmaster, of Dublin. William Turner, a younger son of RICHARD TURNER of the Hammersmith Iron Foundry, Dublin, was born in 1827.(1) He may possibly be the person of that same name who was admitted to the Royal Dublin Society's School of Figure Drawing in 1842 and to the School of Landscape and Ornament in 1844.(2) After running the family's smaller Oxmantown Iron Foundry at 103-4 North King Street from its establishment in the mid 1850s, he assumed charge of both the Hammersmith and Oxmantown foundries when his father retired in 1863. Though the administration now fell to him, his father, described in the directories simply as 'engineer', continued to be actively involved at least until 1868, when he drew up plans for widening the wings of the curvilinear range at the Botanic Gardens, Glasnevin.(3) In 1876 the Hammersmith foundry closed and all business was transferred to Oxmantown,(4) though William Turner continued to live in the family house at Hammersmith. William Turner carried on the business after his father's death in 1881 until his own death in 1888, when the Oxmantown foundry also closed.(5)
RIAI: non-professional associate from 1866 or earlier.(6)
All information not otherwise accounted for is from Thom's and Post Office directories.
(1) E. Charles Nelson, 'Richard Turner: an introductory portrait', Moorea 9 (Dec 1990), 5.
(2) Gitta Willemson, The Dublin Society Drawing Schools 1746-1876 (2000), 95.
(3) Repr. in E.J. Diestelkamp, 'The curvilinear range at the National Botanic Gardens', Mooraea 9 (Dec 1990), figs. 22,23.
(4) E.J. Diestelkamp, 'Richard Turner (c.1798-1881)and his glasshouses', Glasra 5 (1981), 53.
(5) See note 3, above; the date of Turner's death is taken from Nelson, loc. cit., above.
(6) RIAI membership lists, 1866, 1871; the category of non-professional associate was abolished c. 1876.
4 work entries listed in chronological order for TURNER, WILLIAM *
|Building:||CO. WATERFORD, PORTLAW, WOODLOCK|
|Nature:||Iron gate lodge & entrance 'of original design'. For George Pim Malcomson.
|Refs:||DB 6, 1 Apr 1860, 239|
|Building:||CO. CORK, LONGUEVILLE HOUSE|
|Nature:||Conservatory. (Richard Turner probably involved in design.)|
|Refs:||E.J. Diestelkamp, 'Richard Turner (c.1798-1881)and his glasshouses', Glasra 5 (1981), 53.|
|Building:||CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, GLASNEVIN ROAD, BOTANIC GARDENS|
|Nature:||Widening of wings of existing 'curvilinear range.' Richard Turner also involved in design.|
|Refs:||Drawings (executed by Richard Turner) in NA, OPW drawings, old ref. OPW F.2.5 (repr. in E.J. Diestelkamp, 'The curvilinear range at the National Botanic Gardens', Mooraea 9 (Dec 1990), figs. 22,23)|
|Building:||CO. CARLOW, POLLACTON|
|Nature:||Ironwork for lodge and entrance supplied by WT.|
|Refs:||IB 15, 1 Mar 1872, 72|