Dictionary of Irish Architects 1720 - 1940

Architect and builder, of 68 Upper Baggot Street, listed as such in Wilson's Dublin Directory for 1835. After an absence of over ten years, James Phillip Thomas re-emerges in the directories in the later 1840s, practising as an engineer and architect at 21 Rutland Street Lower in 1846 and at 36 Lower North Gloucester Street in 1848. He has disappeared from the directories by 1853. He may be the 'J.P. Thomas, surveyor' who drew views of 81-83 Talbot Street, Dublin, two houses in Terenure, Dublin, before they were sold on 5 November 1852 under the provisions of the Incumbered Estates Act of 1849.(1)

A James Thomas won a premium at the Dublin Society's School of Drawing in Architecture on 28 December 1820.(2)



All information in this entry not otherwise attributed is from Wilson's, Pettigrew & Oulton's and Thom's directories and Jones's transcripts from the latter (Jones has transcribed his second name as Phillip which may be an error for Phillips.).

(1) Mary Cecilia Lyons, Illustrated Incumbered Estates Ireland, 1850-1905 (1993), 41.
(2) MS. transcript from Royal Dublin Society minutes of School of Drawing in Architecture admissions and prizewinners (in IAA); but according to Gitta Willemson, The Dublin Society Drawing Schools 1746-1876 (2000), 93, he was a student in the School of Figure Drawing.