Dictionary of Irish Architects 1720 - 1940

Carpenters and builders of this name were active in Dublin from the 1820s until the 1860s and are listed at a variety of addresses in the directories (see below). A Joseph Taylor was admitted a freeman of Dublin as a member of the Carpenters' Guild by virtue of birth at Michaelmas 1819,(1) and subscribed to to William Stitt's The Practical Architect's Ready Assistant; or Builder's Complete Companion (Dublin, 1819).   A Joseph Taylor of Dominick Street appears on a list of Dublin master carpenters and builders which was compiled in March 1834.(2)

Addresses: 28 Lower Dominick Street, 1824-1830; 6 Mary's Abbey, 1828-1833; 10 Bolton Street, 1831-1832; Upper Baggot Street, 1833-1834; 12 Hanover Street East, 1835-1839; 28 Old Dominick Street, 1837; 24 Upper Dominick Street, 1844; 9 Newcomen Place, North Strand, 1847; 84 Talbot Street, 1853; 290 Wentworth Place & Lincoln Place, 1857 ('Joseph A. Taylor'); 34 Charlemont Street, 1863.


All information in this entry not otherwise accounted for is from Wilson's, Post Office, Pettigrew & Oulton's and Thom's directories.

(1) 'An alphabetical list of the Freemen of the City of Dublin, 1774-1824', The Irish Ancestor XV (1983), Nos. 1 & 2, 122.
Royal Irish Academy, Haliday MS 4B 31;  this manuscript is a copy of a report presented to Daniel O'Connell in 1834 to support the argument for repealing the Act of Union by describing the catastrophic impact the Act had had on the tradesmen of Dublin.