Dictionary of Irish Architects 1720 - 1940

Carpenter and builder, of Golden Lane, Dublin, active from 1833 or earlier until 1857 or later. William Sweeney of Golden Lane appears on a list of Dublin master builders compiled in March 1834.(1)  In Wilson's Dublin Directory for 1833 and 1834, where his address is given as 48 Golden Lane, he is designated 'William Sweeney, junior', presumably to distinguish him from William Sweeney, 'lime-worker', who had a slate yard at 16 Golden Lane from 1823 or earlier until 1831 or later. William Sweeney remained at 48 Golden Lane until at least 1847, by which date he also had a timber store; his address has changed to 17 and 51 Golden Lane by 1853 and to 18 Golden Lane by 1857. He is no longer listed by 1863.

The William Sweeney (or Swinny) who was admitted to the Royal Dublin Society's School of Drawing in Architecture on 1 April 1824 and was awarded a premium on 8 December 1825 may be the same person.(2)


All information in this entry not otherwise attributed is from Wilson's, Pettigrew & Oulton's, Post Office and Thom's directories.

(1) Royal Irish Academy, Haliday MS 4B 31; this manuscript is a copy of a report presented to Daniel O'Connell in 1834 to support the argument for repealing the Act of Union by describing the catastrophic impact the Act had had on the tradesmen of Dublin.
(2) MS. transcript from Royal Dublin Society minutes of School of Drawing in Architecture admissions and prizewinners (in IAA).