STIRLING, JOHN 
- Born: - Died: -
Architect, of Derry and Dublin, active from the 1830s. John Stirling came originally from Derry.(1) He had established himself in Mountjoy Street, Dublin by 1839 and by 1844 is described in the directories as 'architect' By 1847 he was living in Harold's Cross.(2) He disappears from the directories after 1848, though he may be the same person as the John Stirling who surfaces briefly in the directories in the early 1860s (see JOHN STIRLING  ).
No works by Stirling in Dublin have been discovered to date, but in Derry he is recorded as executing a monument to Father Hugh Monaghan in a Catholic church in the city circa 1839.(2)
Addresses: 8 Middle Mountjoy Street, <=1939->=1844; Harold's Cross, 1847.
All information in this entry not otherwise accounted for is from Wilson's, Pettigrew & Oulton's and Thom's directories and Jones's transcripts from the latter.
(1) Catholic Directory (1840), 326. Could he have been related to James Stirling, stonemason, of James Stirling & Co., Foyle Street, Derry,(Pigot's Directory (1824), 400) who supplied freestone, grates and chimneypieces for the sessions house at Muff, Co. Donegal, in the early 1820s?(James Stevens Curl, The Londonderry Plantation, 1609-1914 (1986), 164,165).
(2) Pettigrew & Oulton's Dublin Almanac, 1847; Thom's Directory has him still at 8 Middle Mountjoy Street in the 1847 edition, and lists a Robert Stirling at this address the following year.
1 work entries listed in chronological order for STIRLING, JOHN 
|Building:||CO. DERRY, DERRY, ?, CHURCH (RC)|
|Nature:||Monument to Father Hugh Monaghan, CC, showing Faith with a chalice and cross. 'John Stirling, contractor, originally of Derry, now Mountjoy Street, Dublin'.|
|Refs:||Catholic Directory (1840), 326|