STEWART, RICHARD *
- Born: - Died: -
Stone and wood carver, of Mabbot Street, Dublin, active in the first half of the nineteenth century. Richard Stewart, who appears to have been the son of JOHN STEWART , signed the carved arms of the fourth Duke of Richmond over the the front door of the Richmond Lunatic Asylum, Dublin, built between 1810 and 1814. He worked as a wood carver with his father circa 1813 on the Chapel Royal at Dublin Castle(1) and - also initially with his father - at St George's church - from 1812-1814.(2) Later - by 1819 - he was employed at Carton, Co. Kildare.(3) In the first three cases the architect was FRANCIS JOHNSTON , in the last apparently RICHARD MORRISON .
Stewart appears to have been - or become - a difficult character. In 1823 he addressed a letter to the Chief Secretary, complaining about a 'combination' among Dublin carvers.(4) Soon afterwards he was in dispute with Francis Johnston about carving the Wellesley arms in the Chapel Royal. The file on the matter from the State Paper Office is labelled 'Dispute between Francis Johnston and Stewart the mad carpenter'.(5) He remains in the directories until 1847 or later, designated 'sculptor' from 1844 onwards. He has disappeared by 1853.
The sculptor named R. Stewart who exhibited a model of a satyr taking a thorn out of the foot of a slave at the Society of Arts of Ireland in 1810 (No. 243) and a family group at the Society of Artists of the City of Dublin in 1812 (No. 159)(6) is probably the same person.
Stewart was a subscriber to William Stitt's The Practical Architect's Ready Assistant; or Builder's Complete Companion (Dublin, 1819).
Addresses: 10 Mabbot Street, <=1823->=1831; 18 Mabbot St, <=1839->=1844.
(1) NA/SPO 558AAE/984 and 984/2 (IAA, Edward McParland files, Acc. 2008/44).
(2) Papers relating to St George's Church, Dublin…Ordered, by the House of Commons, to be Printed, 29 April 1825, 9,19-20.
(3) Bryan Bolger MSS, NA/PRO 1A/58/125 (Carton inset).
(2) NA/CSORP 1823/6731 (IAA, Edward McParland files, Acc. 2008/44).
(5) A letter and memorial on this matter from Francis Stewart.1825, is among the Clements papers at Killadoon, Co. Kildare. See A.P.W. Malcomson, The Clements Archive (Dublin: Irish Manuscripts Commission, 2010), 556.
(6) IALE II, 684.
4 work entries listed in chronological order for STEWART, RICHARD *
|Building:||CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, CASTLE STREET, DUBLIN CASTLE, CHAPEL ROYAL (CI)|
|Nature:|| Carving, initially executed with his father; also Wellesley arms, c. 1825. Extensive decorative woodcarving in interior (pulpit now in St Werburgh's church).
|Refs:||NA/SPO 558AAE/984 and 984/2 (IAA, Edward McParland files, Acc.2008/44); Christine Casey, The Buildings of Ireland: Dublin (2005), 343,359, Pl.53.|
|Building:||CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, GRANGEGORMAN, RICHMOND LUNATIC ASYLUM|
|Nature:||Carved coat of arms of 4th Duke of Richmond over main entrance.|
|Refs:||Signature on coat of arms; Christine Casey, The Buildings of Ireland: Dublin (2005),258.|
|Building:||CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, HARDWICKE PLACE, ST GEORGE'S CHURCH (CI)|
|Nature:||RS employed as wood carver.|
Papers relating to St George's Church, Dublin…Ordered, by the House of Commons, to be Printed, 29 April 1825, 9,19-20 (copy in IAA, RP.D.130.10); Christine Casey, The Buildings of Ireland: Dublin (2005), 122
|Building:||CO. KILDARE, CARTON|
|Nature:||Bill of RS for £356-3s-8d for carving on doors, windows, bookcase &c. in unspecified room (library?). For 3rd Duke of Leinster.
|Refs:||Bryan Bolger MSS, NA/PRO 1A/58/125 (Carton inset)|