Dictionary of Irish Architects 1720 - 1940

Plasterworker, of Dublin. John Stedman was admitted a Freeman of the City of Dublin as a member of the Guild of Plasterers by virtue of service at Michaelmas 1786.(1)  According to his fellow-tradesmen, writing in March 1834, when he was still living, he had been 'in eminent business' circa 1800, employing six men, but gave up owing to a decline in trade.(2)  

Another John Stedman was admitted a member of the Guild of Bricklayers and Plasterers by virtue of birth at Michaelmas 1819.(3) A John Stedman 'stucco plasterer' is listed in the Post Office Dublin Directory at Dawson Grove, Ballsbridge, in 1839, at Sion, Donnybrook Road, in 1844,(4) and at 44 Upper Gloucester Street North from 1853 to 1863. A 'Mr John Stedman' - with no trade mentioned - remained at the latter address until at least 1875.


(1) 'An alphabetical list of the Freemen of the City of Dublin, 1774-1824', Irish Ancestor XV (1983), Nos. 1 & 2, 110.
(2) Royal Irish Academy, Haliday MS 4B 31; this manuscript is a copy of a report presented to Daniel O'Connell in 1834 to support the argument for repealing the Act of Union by describing the catastrophic impact the Act had had on the tradesmen of Dublin.
(3) 'An alphabetical list' &c., 118.
(4) He does not appear in Pettigrew & Oulton's Dublin Almanac for either 1841 or 1847, however.