SMITHSON, JOHN *
- Born: - Died: -
Carpenter and builder, of Dublin. John Smithson is listed as a carpenter and builder at 94 Bride Street in 1795 and at 14 Chancery Lane from 1796 until 1800. He may be the John Smithson who was admitted to the Dublin Society's Schools of Drawing in Architecture and Landscape and Ornament in 1781.(1) In 1787 Bryan Bolger recorded measuring the 'new Meeting House' in Sycamore Alley p[er] order of John Smithson'.(2)
Wilson's Dublin Directory for 1800 shows John and THOMAS SMITHSON at 14 Chancery Lane. They are listed, as builders only, at 3 Chancery Lane from 1801 to 1803 and as timber merchants and builders at 56 1/2 North King Street in 1804, and at 56 North King Street in 1805. John Smithson then disappears from the directories. John and Thomas Smithson were one of the five building firms who tendered for building the City Marshalsea in 1803.(3)
(1) Gitta Willemson, The Dublin Society Drawing Schools 1746-1876 (2000), 90.
(2) NA/PRO Bryan Bolger MSS, 1A/58/128.
(3) CARD XV, 294.
1 work entries listed in chronological order for SMITHSON, JOHN *
|Building:||CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, SYCAMORE ALLEY, MEETING HOUSE|
|Nature:||Bryan Bolger records measuring plastering at 'new Meeting House, Sycamore Alley, p[er] order of John Smithson', 1787|
|Refs:||NA/PRO Bryan Bolger MSS, 1A/58/128|