SMYTH, JOHN 
- Born: 1830 Died: 1914
Engineer, of Banbridge, Co. Down. John Smyth, third son of John Smyth (1798-1890), proprietor of the Milltown Bleachworks, Lenaderg, Banbridge, Co. Down, and his wife Anne (née McClelland) was born on 23 February 1830 and entered Trinity College, Dublin, on 16 October 1846. He obtained the Diploma in Civil Engineering in 1850, the BA degree in 1851 and the MA degree in 1854. He was engineer to the Bann Reservoir Company until at least 1867 but later gave up engineering to become chairman and managing director of the family bleachworks at Lenaderg. He had a great interest in chemistry and was a fellow of the Chemical Society and the Meteorological Society and a member of the Royal Dublin Society. He died on 16 December 1914 and was buried in the graveyard of the First Presbyterian Church at Banbridge. He was married to Anne Florence Haughton and had two sons.
ICEI: elected member, 1861; reads paper, 'Irish linen bleaching and bleaching machinery', 14 January 1863;(2) reads paper, 'Short historical sketch of the construction and working of the Bann Reservoir at Lough Island Reavy', 13 January 1863.(3)
Address: Milltown House, Banbridge, Co. Down, <=1861(4) until death.
See WORKS and BIBLIOGRAPHY.
All information in this entry not otherwise referenced is from Alumni Dublinenses, from the obituary of Smyth in TICEI 42 (1914-15), ?, and from Ros Davies's Co. Down, Ireland Genealogy Research Site http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~rosdavies/ (2008).
(1) TICEI 9 (1866-70), 52.
(2) TICEI 7 (1861-62), 123-144.
(3) TICEI 9 (1866-1870), 51-67.
(4) ICEI admissions applications, I, 46.
2 work entries listed in chronological order for SMYTH, JOHN 
|Building:||CO. DOWN, LOUGH ISLAND REAVY RESERVOIR|
|Nature:||Repairs, for Bann Reservoir Co..|
|Refs:||Described by Smyth in TICEI 9 (1866-1870), 61-67; R.C. Cox & M.H. Gould, Civil Engineering Heritage: Ireland (1998), 165-6|
|Building:||CO. ANTRIM, BELFAST, FALLS ROAD, MILLTOWN CATHOLIC CEMETERY|
|Nature:||Drainage of same by 'John A. Smith, CE' (who may be a different person).|
|Refs:||IB 12, 1 Jun 1870, 123|
|Smyth, John||'Irish linen bleaching and bleaching machinery'||1863||TICEI 7 (Pt. II, 1862-63?), 123-144.|
|Smyth, John||'Short historical sketch of the construction and working of the Bann reservoir at Lough Island, Reavy, Co. Down, with the description of a long-existing leakâ€¦and its repair in Autumn 1867'||1870||TICEI 9 (1866-1870), 51-67.|