Dictionary of Irish Architects 1720 - 1940

The Ballast Board or Corporation for Preserving and Improving the Port of Dublin was incorporated in 1787. In 1810 responsibility for lighthouses along the whole coast of Ireland was transferred to the Ballast Board from the Revenue Board. In 1852 the powers of the Ballast Board over the lighthouses of Ireland were transferred to the Board of Trade, and in 1867 the passing into law of the 'Dublin Port and Docks Board Bill gave responsibility for the lighthouses to a new authority, the Commissioners of Irish Lights (see H.A. Gilligan, A History of the Port of Dublin (1988), 135)