Dictionary of Irish Architects 1720 - 1940

Surveyor and land agent, of Dublin. David Henry Sherrard was a son of THOMAS SHERRARD THOMAS SHERRARD . He worked with his father as joint clerk/secretary and surveyor to the Dublin Wide Streets Commissioners from 1810.(1) After his father's death in 1837, he continued in the post until 1865. He died in 1868.(2)

Sherrard married into the landed gentry. His wife, Priscilla, was the second daughter of Edward Evans, J.P., of Gortmerron House, Co. Tyrone, and Sarah Maria, second daughter of Thomas Kelly of Dawson's Grove, Co. Armagh.(3) He was a council member of the Royal Agricultural Improvement Society of Ireland.

Addresses: Work: 72 Blessington Street, 1830-1833; 84 Dorset Street Upper, 1839-1844; 88 Dorset Street Upper, 1847-1863.
Home: 8 Blessington Street, 1823-1827; Thorndale, Drumcondra, 1828-1863.


All information in this entry not otherwise attributed is from Wilson's and Thom's directories. The Sherrards appear in both the 'Nobility & Gentry' and 'Merchants & Traders' sections of Wilson's directory.

(1) Wide Streets Commissioners' minutes, 2 May 1810 (IAA, Edward McParland files, Acc. 2008/44).
(2) Sarah Bendell, ed., Dictionary of Land Surveyors and Local Map-Makers of Great Britain and Ireland 1530-1850 (2nd edition, 1997), II, 462.
(3) LGI (1904), 172; he was already married by 1819, when he was left land and his wife £1,000 by his wife's cousin Louisa Jane Kelly (E. Ellis & P.B. Eustace, eds., Registry of Deeds Dublin: Abstracts of Wills III 1785-1832 (1984), 362-4).