SHERIDAN, GEORGE PATRICK
- Born: 1865 Died: 1950
Architect, of Dublin. George Patrick Sheridan, who was born at Larchfield, Dundrum., Co. Dublin, in 1865, was a son of Peter Sheridan, owner of a carpet and bedding warehouse in Parliament Street.(1) His family subsequently moved to Granby Row in the centre of Dublin, and Sheridan was educated at the Carmelite Academy in Dominick Street,(2) before becoming apprenticed to JAMES HARGRAVE BRIDGFORD on 1 January 1880.(3) He later recalled that Bridgford's assistant, THOMAS EDWARD HUDMAN had been particularly helpful to him at this time.(4) When he had completed his pupilage, he worked for three years as an assistant to WILLIAM HAGUE , who was then engaged on the cathedrals at Monaghan and Letterkenny, and also gained experience in the offices of JOHN JOSEPH O'CALLAGHAN , WALTER GLYNN DOOLIN and CHARLES GEOGHEGAN.
At this point Sheridan's eyesight and general health began to suffer from the close work in which he was involved. A break from office work became necessary, and he found an appointment as clerk of works to the Irish Lights Board, superintending the erection of houses in the west of Ireland. After a few years in this position he went to London in 1892 with the aim of qualifying as an associate of the RIBA. In London he worked in the offices of Frederick George Knight, Frederick Richard Farrow, William Warlow Gwyther, and Thomas Wilson Aldwinckle and pursued his studies at Architectural Association, taking the opportunity to join the Assocation's annual visits abroad.(5) He was a keen practitioner and advocate of the value of sketching, which 'trains the eye in proportion and judgment, concentrates the attention on detail, and assists the mind in understanding and recording the effects produced in deceased architecture'.(6) He was elected an associate of the RIBA in 1894, after which 'professional prospects became so rosy that he contemplated establishing a practice in London'.(7) He was still in London in the spring of 1895. However the opportunity of forming a partnership with FREDERICK MORLEY arose in Dublin, which caused him to return to Ireland later that year or early in 1896.(8) After Morley's death in the autumn of 1896, Sheridan carried on the practice, initially under the name of MORLEY & amp; SHERIDAN . He practised alone for many years until taking his nephew Liam P. Tierney into partnership in 1945.
Sheridan died on in his eighty-seventh year on 24 July 1950. There is no indication in any of the biographies and obituaries that he was married. In an appreciation which follows the obituary in the Journal of the RIBA, his old friend HARRY ALLBERRY recalled him fondly: 'He will not be remembered as one of the architectural galaxy, nor would he have wished it, for he regarded his profession not as a source of money-spinning but rather as a pleasant occupation at which, as he described it, "he loved to potter". Nevertheless, or because of this attitude, his work - mainly domestic - has a delightful freshness which might be expected from a man of Sheridan's outlook and character.' After reminding his readers that Sheridan could also be 'intensely practical', instancing the key role he played in securing new premises for the RIAI at No. 8 Merrion Square during his period of office as president, Allberry remembered how 'his advent at the Institute's debates and social functions was always happily acclaimed with "Here's G.P.", when the atmosphere seemed immediately to brighten'. In Allberry's view no other architect in Ireland had been 'held in greater esteem and affection by his colleagues'.
According to Allberry, Sheridan's work was 'mainly domestic'. This domestic work appears to have been chiefly for private clients, although in 1920 he was appointed architect for public housing scheme in Wicklow.(9) Most of the works recorded in the Irish Builder are commercial buildings.
Sheridan was active in the affairs of his profession, serving as president of both the AAI and the RIAI. In 1907 the Lord Lieutenant appointed him a member of the three-man commission which reported on the condition of St John's Bridge, Kilkenny.(10) He was chairman of the company which produced the Irish Architect & Craftsman, a short-lived periodical which was wound up in 1912.(11) In 1925 he was appointed examiner in architecture by the National University of Ireland(12) and he subsquently acted as assessor for several architectural competitions and prizes.(13) His pupils and assistants included HAROLD G. LEASK , GEORGE G. LYNES , FREDERICK LOUIS MORLEY , DOMINIC MARY O'CONNOR (probably) and EDWARD RONAN SHERIDAN.
AAI:(14) vice-president, 1898-9, 1901-1902; president, 1899-1900; committee member 1904-6, 1909-11; hon. auditor, 1911-1912; delivers talks on 'A Holiday in Italy', January 1902,(15) and 'A holiday in the Mediterranean', 12 November 1907.(16)
RIAI:(17) passed for ballot, 2 November 1896;(18) elected fellow, 29 May 1906;(19) council member, 1905-1918,1922; hon. treasurer, 1919-1921; president, 1923-1925; ex-officio member of council, 1926 until death.
RIBA: passed qualifying examination, 1894; elected associate, 11 March 1895, having been proposed by W.W. Gwyther, J. Brooks and E.W. Mountford.(20)
RSAI: elected member 25 Apr 1905.(21)
Addresses:(22) Work: 103 Temple Chambers, London, 1895;(23) Commercial Buildings, 1896-1900; 25 Suffolk Street, 1901-1909;(24) 1 Suffolk Street, 1910 until death.
Home: 4 Cambridge Villas, Rathmines, <=1898->=1917; 11 Castlewood Park, Rathmines, <=1925 until death.(25)
See WORKS and BIBLIOGRAPHY.
All information in this entry not otherwise accounted for is from the biographies of Sheridan in IB 41, 1 Jul(or Jan?) 1899, 74, IB 65, 13 Jan 1923, 13-14 and JRIAI (1924), 3, and from the obituaries in IB 92, 5 Aug 1950, 824 (by Harry Allberry), RIBAJ 57 (1949-50), 452, and RIAI Year Book (1950), 42-43 (by Liam P. Tierney). A portrait sketch of Sheridan is in IB 41, 1 Nov 1899, 173. He appears in a group photograph of members of the AAI circa 1900 reproduced in IB 69, 15 Oct 1927, 759; a photograph of him as an older man forms the frontispiece of JRIAI (1924) (reproduced in IB 65, 13 Jan 1923, 13).
(1) He had at least one brother, William P. Sheridan, a Dublin solicitor, who died in 1933.(IB 75, 6 May 1933, 357).
(2) He retained his connection with Carmelites as architect to Terenure College for many years (Terenure College Annual (1945), ?).
(3) IB 92, 14 Oct 1950, 1092.
(4) B 65, 13 Jan 1923, 13.
(5) See note 3, above. Dates and details of Sheridan's time in London are from Directory of British Architects 1834-1900 (RIBA, 1993), 829.
(6) Inaugural address to AAI, 1899, IB 41, 1 Nov 1899, 173. For examples of his work, see IB 92, 14 Oct 1950, 1092.
(7) See note 4, above. His only exhibit at the RHA was a sketch of a house designed by Ernest George in Berkeley Square, London, shown in 1897 (RHA 1897, no. 497).
(8) According to the obituary in RIAI Year Book, Sheridan 'took over the practice of Frederick Morley' in the autumn of 1895,; if this is so, it was too late for inclusion in Thom's Directory for 1896 which lists Frederick Morley & Son, architects, surveyors, & civil engineers but does not include Sheridan. Other circumstantial evidence suggests that Sheridan may not have returned to Dublin until 1896.
(9) IB 62, 27 Mar 1920, 188.
(10) IB 49, 24 Aug 1907, 577.
(11) Irish Times, 23 Feb 1912; IB 54, 2 Mar 1912, 142.
(12) IB 67, 10 Jan 1925, 5.
(13) Irish Builder measured drawings prize, 1926,1927 (IB 69, 16 Apr 1926, 262; 69, 1 Oct 1927, 710); Ardee Mental Hospital Competition, 1928 (IB 70, 22 Dec 1928, 1084; 71, 2 Mar 1929, 173;Architect & Building News 121, 3 May 1929, 586; 122, 6 Sep 1929, 280); joint assessor, Kerner Greenwood travelling studentship, 1933 (IB 75, 18 Nov 1933, 969); joint assessor for Department of Industry & Commerce Building competition, 1935 (Terenure College Annual (1945), ?).
(14) From lists of office bearers in AAI Green Books unless otherwise stated.
(15) IB 44, 30 Jan 1902, 1015; the talk was illustrated with photographs and sketches by T.A. Coleman.(NB Jones ref. is incomplete, talk was possibly given to another body.)
(16) IB 49, 2 Nov 1907, 770.
(17) From Jones's transcripts from RIAI lists of officers, unless otherwise attributed.
(18) RIAI council meeting minutes, 2 Nov 1896, 337.
(19) RIAI General meeting minutes, 29 May 1906, 414.
(20) RIBAJ 2 (1895), 144.
(21) JRSAI 35 (1905), 190; he was proposed by Patrick Joseph Lynch.
(22) From Thom's and s and Jones's transcripts from same.
(23) Directory of British Architects 1834-1914 (RIBA 2001), II, 602.
(24) Irish Times, 2 Nov 1909.
(25) This house appears in the directories under the name of Miss Sheridan.
56 work entries listed in chronological order for SHERIDAN, GEORGE PATRICK
|Building:||CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, STRAND STREET GREAT, NO. 056|
|Nature:||New store being erected. Contractor: Bolger & Doyle, Ardee St.|
|Refs:||IB 59, 28 Apr 1917, 208|
|Building:||CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, DONNYBROOK, SHOP & HOUSE|
|Nature:||Proposed shop & house, for Leverett & Frye. Archts: Morley & Sheridan.|
|Refs:||IAA, PKS 0783, B18/22|
|Building:||CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, O'CONNELL STREET UPPER, PARNELL MONUMENT|
|Nature:||GPS supervised erection of same. Contractor: W. Connolly & Son, Dominck St.. Unveiled 1 Oct 1911 by John Redmond.|
IB 41. 15 Oct 1899, 161; 51, 16 Oct 1909, 645; 53, 10 Jun,19 Aug,14 Oct,23 Dec 1911, 397,546,676,837(illus.); Freeman's Journal, 22 Aug,10 Oct 1908,23 Jan 1909.
|Building:||CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, TRINITY STREET, NO. 015 (MOIRA HOTEL)|
|Nature:||Alts. & imps. Contractor: J. & P. Good. For Mrs E. Molloy, proprietress.|
|Refs:||IB 42, 15 Jan 1900, 243|
|Building:||CO. LOUTH, DUNDALK, JOCELYN STREET, HOUSE|
|Nature:||Tenders invited for erecting dwelling house for Mr. M. O'Neill. Archts: Morley & Sheridan.|
|Refs:||Irish Times, 20 Jan 1900; IB 42, 1 Feb 1900, 261|
|Building:||CO. DUBLIN, PELLETSTOWN (CABRA), AUXILIARY UNION WORKHOUSE BUILDINGS|
|Nature:||Adds. & alts (schools?), for South Dublin Union Board of Guardians. Contractor: Michael Glynn, 12 N Brunswick St (£10,970.16.4). Further works, 1911. Contractor: Ben Whyte, 25 Summerhill. Clerk of Works: Mr Moore.
Irish Times, 10,17 Apr 1902; IB 46, 27 Aug,8 Oct 1904, 570,662; 48, 6 Oct 1906, 808; 53, 3 Jun 1909; 18 Feb 1911, 111; B 87, 8 Oct 1904, 377; Freeman's Journal, 21 Jul 1910.
|Building:||CO. KILDARE, MONASTEREVIN, SCHOOL|
|Nature:||Tenders invited for erecting new school for Very Rev. E. Kavanagh, PP.|
|Refs:||IB 45, 22 Oct,19 Nov 1903, 2052,2098|
|Building:||CO. LIMERICK, LIMERICK, PERY SQUARE, CARNEGIE LIBRARY|
|Nature:||New library, built to designs of GPS, although he was placed second in competition by assessor, Ashlin. Competition announcaed, Apr 1903. FS laid by Andrew Carnegie, 20 Oct 1903. Tenders invited, Mar 1904. Contractor: James P. Pile, Lower Erne St, Dublin. Cost covered by amount of Mr Carnegie's gifto of £7,000.|
|Refs:||Irish Times, 23 Apr 1903, 23 Mar 1904; IB 45, 24 Sep 1903, 1987; 46., 26 Mar,9 Apr,18 Jun 1904, 190,222,366; 47, 29 Jul,4 Nov 1905, 509,761; 48, 7 Apr 1906, 273(illus.); 56, 24 Oct 1914, 589; B 85, 29 Aug 1903, 228; 86, 2 Apr 1904, 378; North Munster Antiquarian Journal (1940), 76; Brendan Grimes, Irish Carnegie Libraries: a catalogue and architectural history (1998), 183-187(illus.)|
|Building:||CO. KILKENNY, GRAIGUENAMANAGH, ST JOSEPH'S CONVENT|
|Nature:||New convent for education of the poor.. Contractors: J.A. Duncan and R. Armstrong, who claimed payment due to them for erecting same in legal case, Feb 1905.
Irish Times, 7 Feb 1905.
|Building:||CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, GRAFTON STREET, NO. 111 (KAPP & PETERSON)|
|Nature:||Rebuilding of premises, for Kapp & Peterson, tobacconists.|
|Refs:||IB 48, 22 Sep,3 Nov,29 Dec 1906, 749(&/or 751),768,888,1037;|
|Building:||CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, EUSTACE STREET, NO. 022|
|Nature:||Rebuilding. Contractor: Hanway, N Gt George's St.|
|Refs:||IB 48, 22 Sep 1906, 770|
|Building:||CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, SANDYMOUNT, HOUSES (004)|
|Nature:||Alts., for Mrs Caraher.|
|Refs:||IB 49, 26 Jan 1907, 60|
|Building:||CO. WATERFORD, LISMORE, PUBLIC LIBRARY|
|Nature:||New Carnegie library. Tenders received May 1908. Opened 15 Aug 1910.|
|Refs:||IB 49, 23 Feb 1907, 138; 50, 2 May 1908, 277; Brendan Grimes, Irish Carnegie Libraries: a catalogue and architectural history (1998), 188-189(illus.)|
|Building:||CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, GLASNEVIN, PROSPECT CEMETERY (EXTENSION)|
|Nature:||Entrance gates and railing for new grounds opposite entrance of existing cemetery.|
|Refs:||IB 50, 5 Sep 1908, 542,552|
|Building:||CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, SUFFOLK STREET, NO. 001 (& 4 & 5 CHURCH LANE), SHOP & OFFICES|
|Nature:||New corner office block with shop facing on to Church La. For Paul Hogan. Existing premises being demolished in Feb 1909. Contractor: Robert Farquharson, Jones's Rd..|
|Refs:||IB 50, 25 Jan,8 Aug,5,19 Sep 1908, 53,493,537,579; 51, 20 Feb 1909, 113; 52, 12 Nov 1910, 703; Christine Casey, The Buildings of Ireland: Dublin (2005), 552.|
|Building:||CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, ANGLESEA STREET, OFFICES|
|Nature:||At AAI Annual Exh. Opened Apr 1908 GPS showed 'two very nice little designs for stockbrokers' offices in Anglesea Street, both happily realised'.|
|Refs:||IB 50, 18 Apr 1908, 229|
|Building:||CO. WATERFORD, TALLOW, PUBLIC LIBRARY|
|Nature:||New Carnegie library. Tenders invited May 1909. Opened Dec 1910.|
|Refs:||IB 51, 15 May 1909, 310; Brendan Grimes, Irish Carnegie Libraries: a catalogue and architectural history (1998), 189,242-243(illus.)|
|Building:||CO. WATERFORD, CAPPOQUIN, CARNEGIE LIBRARY|
|Nature:||New library. Tenders invited Oct 1909. Opened Mar 1911.|
|Refs:||IB 51, 30 Oct 1909, 694; B 97, 30 Oct 1909, 475; Brendan Grimes, Irish Carnegie Libraries: a catalogue and architectural history (1998), 110-111(illus.),189|
|Building:||CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, DAWSON STREET, NO. 026, 027 & 028 (MANSION HOUSE CHAMBERS)|
|Nature:||To be rebuilt as shops & offices. Contractor: T. Mackey, Camden St. (Is this the 'remarkably good example of clever planning of offices with excellent lighting, on a small and restricted and most awkwardly placed site' lately completed in upper part of Dawson St, mentioned in IB 53?)|
|Refs:||IB 52, 3 Sep 1910, 559; 53, 16 Sep 1911, 613|
|Building:||CO. WATERFORD, BALLYDUFF (LISMORE), CARNEGIE LIBRARY|
|Nature:||New library. Tenders invited Jun 1911.|
|Refs:||B 100, 16 Jun 1911, 764; Brendan Grimes, Irish Carnegie Libraries: a catalogue and architectural history (1998), 84-85(illus.),189|
|Building:||CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, DAWSON STREET, NO. 012 (DAWSON CHAMBERS)|
|Nature:||Former Macken's Hotel to be rebuilt, for Representatives of late Judge Little.|
IB 53, 19 Aug,30 Sep 1911, 570,661.
|Building:||CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, SUMMERHILL, NO. 022|
|Nature:||New shop premises. Contractor: Patrick Hanway, 36 N Gt George's St.|
|Refs:||IB 53, 15 Apr 1911, 246|
|Building:||CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, O'CONNELL STREET UPPER, NO. 011 (GLEESON & CO.)|
|Nature:||Alts, including new shop front, in progress, for Gleeson & Co. Establishment to sell Irish goods only. Contractor: Molloy & Co., N Gt George's St.|
|Refs:||IB 53, 5 Aug 1911, 529|
|Building:||CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, COLLEGE GREEN, NO. 018-19 (LONDON & LANCASHIRE INSURANCE CO.)|
|Nature:||Alts. & imps to premises lately occupied by West & Son to provide accommodation for London & Lancashire Fire Insurance Co. in progress. Contractor: Dockrell, Son & Co.|
|Refs:||IB 55, 16 Aug 1913, 533-4.|
|Building:||CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, CLARE STREET, NO. 029 (LEINSTER CLUB)|
|Nature:||Addition to be built at rear to be connected to main bulding by a corridor.|
|Refs:||IB 55, 21 Jun 1913, 416|
|Building:||CO. KILDARE, KILCOCK, PAROCHIAL HOUSE|
|Nature:||Tenders invited for carrying out alts. & adds., for Rev. J. Kirwan, PP.|
|Refs:||IB 55, 12,26 Apr 1913, 260,288|
|Building:||CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, ST STEPHEN'S GREEN, NO. 119A|
|Nature:||Alts., including lowering of ground floor and concrete platform in front, to make motor showroom. New shop front also in contemplation.|
|Refs:||IB 55, 22 Nov 1913, 743|
|Building:||CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, LORD EDWARD STREET, NO. 021-25 (MUNICIPAL BUILDINGS) (PROPOSED)|
Irish Times, 1 Apr 1913.
|Building:||CO. KILKENNY, GRAIGUENAMANAGH, BOYS' SCHOOL|
|Nature:||Tenders invited 1913 and again in 1914 for erecting new boys' school, for Rev. J. Mooney, PP.|
|Refs:||IB 55, 5 Jul 1913, 444; 56, 20 Jun 1914, 392|
|Building:||CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, RATHGAR ROAD, NO. 010-11 (MCCABE)|
|Nature:||Rebuilding of premises, for William McCabe. Contractor: George Squire, 12 Upper Abbey St.|
|Refs:||IB 55, 21 Jun 1913, 415; 56, 3 Jan 1914, 18|
|Building:||CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, CAPEL STREET, NO. 046|
|Nature:||Alts. To be made, including rebulding of entire front and party walls.|
|Refs:||IB 57, 27 Mar 1915, 149|
|Building:||CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, WENTWORTH PLACE, NO. 012 (STRAHAN & CO.)|
|Nature:||Large 2-storey stores to be erected at back of premises.|
|Refs:||IB 57, 22 May 1915, 242|
|Building:||CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, LIFFEY STREET UPPER, NO. 017 & 18|
|Nature:||Have been almost entirely rebuilt, with new shop fronts. Contractor: Tracey & Power. Cost: £700.|
|Refs:||IB 57, 14 Aug 1915, 366|
|Building:||CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, COLE'S LANE, NO. 031|
|Nature:||To be rebuilt for Mr C. Farren, with shop and parlour on ground floor and 5 rooms upstairs.|
|Refs:||IB 57, 22 May 1915, 242|
|Building:||CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, O'CONNELL STREET LOWER, NO. 056|
|Nature:||Alts. to building known as 'Kelly Fort' for Kapp & Peterson.|
|Refs:||IB 58, 24 Jun 1916, 284|
|Building:||CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, O'CONNELL STREET LOWER, NO. 056 (KAPP & PETERSON)|
|Nature:||Renovation of premises on corner of Bachelor's Walk, including rebuilding of both street fronts. Contractor: Bolger & Doyle, Ardee St.|
|Refs:||IB 59, 12 May,23 Jun 1917, 236,301|
|Building:||CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, EARL STREET NORTH, NO. 027|
|Nature:||Rebuilding of Mssrs. Delany's premises. Sunk pilasters at either side of shop windows, moulded cornice above fascia, heavy modillion stone cornice above top storey windows. Contractor: H. & J. Martin.|
|Refs:||IB 59, 13 Oct 1917, 523; 60, 12 Oct 1918, 394|
|Building:||CO. ROSCOMMON, CASTLEREA, MILLS|
|Nature:||New mills to be erected for Castlerea Milling & Development Co.|
|Refs:||IB 60, 12 Oct 1918, 394; B 115, 2 Aug 1918, 81|
|Building:||CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, MOUNT STREET UPPER, NATIONAL UNIVERSITY OFFICES (PROPOSED)|
|Nature:||Competition entrant. Design 'notable for well-lighted corridors and a simple, well-proportioned elevation suggestive of Leinster House.'
IB 60, 16 Feb 1918, 83.
|Building:||CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, O'CONNELL STREET UPPER, NO. 021-22 (GRESHAM HOTEL, OLD)|
|Nature:||Work started on extension containing 20 new bedrooms & baths. Contractor: James Clarke, 13 Upper Clanbrassil St.|
|Refs:||IB 62, 3 Jul 1920, 445|
|Building:||CO. ROSCOMMON, CASTLEREA, CASTLEREA HOUSE|
|Nature:||Alterations to outbuildings for Castlerea Town Trust. Tenders invited, Apr 1920.
Freeman's Journal, 9 Apr 1920.
|Building:||CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, DAME STREET, NO. 010 (NATIONAL LAND BANK)|
|Nature:||Reconstruction. 1st floor of old building eliminated to provide spacious ground floor office. Street front to have large cut stone arch, rising through ground and first floors. Contractor: R. Gough, Rutland Pl.|
|Refs:||IB 63, 12 Feb 1921, 102|
|Building:||CO. KILDARE, MULLABODEN HOUSE|
|Nature:||Reconstuction, for Lady Bryan Mahon, after destruction in Troubles. Remodelled portion of building as residence and converted remainder of ruins into rock and rose garden.|
|Refs:||Obituaries in IB 92, 5 Aug 1950, 824, and RIAI Year Book (1950), 43|
|Building:||CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, HERBERT AVENUE, NO. 021 (CASTLENAU)|
|Nature:||New annexe with baths, lavs. &c. being carried out for James J. Tyrrell. Contractor: M.J. Greene, Donnybrook.|
|Refs:||IB 65, 7 Apr 1923, 254|
|Building:||CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, AILESBURY ROAD, HOUSE|
|Nature:||'A house in Ailesbury Road, which recently attracted some attention in the Press, is a charming example of his work.'|
|Refs:||IB 65, 13 Jan 1923, 13'|
|Building:||CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, GLOUCESTER STREET UPPER, NO. 012|
|Nature:||New shop front.|
|Refs:||IB 67, 15 Sep 1925, 730|
|Building:||CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, GEORGE'S STREET SOUTH GREAT, NO. 056-58|
|Nature:||Rebuilding, for M.J. Doran. Plans approved by City Architect, Jul 1926. Contractor: O'Rafferty & McGahan.|
IB 68, 1 May 1926, 354; 69, 3 Sep 1927, 653; Irish Times, 29 Jul, 18 Oct 1926.
|Building:||CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, O'CONNELL STREET UPPER, NO. 011 (GLEESON & CO.)|
|Nature:||Plans prepared for new shop & premises, for Mr P. Gleeson.|
|Refs:||IB 69, 10 Dec 1927, 918|
|Building:||CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, TOWNSEND STREET, NO. 126 (IRISH FEATHER CO.)|
|Nature:||New store being built for Irish Feather Co. Contractor: J. Townley, 8 Mannix Rd.|
|Refs:||IB 69, 5 Feb 1927, 86|
|Building:||CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, PHIBSBOROUGH, SCHOOL|
|Nature:||Alts. & imps. to Sunday and daily schools, for Governors. Tenders invited, Jun 1929.
|Refs:||Irish Times, 27 Jun 1929; IB 71, 6 Jul 1929, 623|
|Building:||CO. DUBLIN, BLACKROCK, NEWTOWN AVENUE?, HOUSE|
|Nature:||New 2-storey house at 'Newtown Rd'. Contractor: M.P. Kennedy, Dalkey.|
|Refs:||IB 73, 21 Nov 1931, 1015|
|Building:||CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, TEMPLEOGUE ROAD, TERENURE COLLEGE|
|Nature:||Drainage scheme, 1931 Contractor: J. McMullan, Terenure. Plans for further devlopment of college, 1945. (GPS was architect to the college 'over a long period of years'.) New wing.|
|Refs:||IB 73, 13 Aug 1931, 726; Terenure College Annual (1945), ?; obituary in IB 92, 5 Aug 1950, 824|
|Building:||CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, WESTMORELAND STREET, NO. 038|
|Nature:||Alts. & sanitary work being carried out. Contractor: Bernard Mitchell, St Mary's Place.|
|Refs:||IB 74, 22 Oct 1932, 950|
|Building:||CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, STILLORGAN ROAD (DONNYBROOK), CRANFORD|
|Refs:||Obituary in RIAI Year Book (1950), 43|
|Building:||CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, GLASNEVIN, PROSPECT CEMETERY, O'CONNELL MEMORIAL|
Drawing in collection of Dublin Cemeteries Committee, 2010 (information from David Griffin).
|Building:||CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, HAWKINS STREET, NO. 010 & 010A|
Signed, undated survey drawings in IAA, Acc. 2004/93.21.
|Sheridan, George Patrick||'The Architectural Association of Ireland: Inaugural Address'||1899||President's inaugural address to AAI, 17 Oct 1899, published in IB 41, 1 Nov 1899, 173-175|