Dictionary of Irish Architects 1720 - 1940

Architect, of Dublin, and later of Horsham, Surrey, and Manchester. Thomas Shepard, who was born in England in 1890 or 1891, was one of the nine children of Major Thomas Shepard, of the Northamptonshire Hussars, and his Portuguese-born wife, Marie LĂ©onor. On retiring from the army his father became an assistant in the Office of Arms, Dublin Castle, and the family moved to Dublin. The younger Thomas worked in the offices of BATCHELOR & BATCHELOR & amp; HICKS, ANTHONY SCOTT & ANTHONY SCOTT & amp; SON and WILLIAM HENRY BYRNE & WILLIAM HENRY BYRNE & amp; SON before receiving a commission in the 11th Royal Worcester Regiment soon after the outbreak of the First World War. After the establishment of the Free State he left Ireland; by 1926 he had joined the architectural practice of Godman & Kay of Horsham, Surrey, and later he worked with Thomas Worthington & Sons of Manchester. He retired to Scotland in 1959.

AAI: elected member, 1910; no longer on list of members after 1923.
RIBA: licentiate, 1926, having been transferred from the Society of Architects under the provisions of the 1925 Supplemental Charter.

Addresses: Home: 9 Proby Square, Blackrock, 1910-1923; Brampton, Oakhill, Horsham, Surrey, 1926-1929; 2 Oxford Road, Horsham, 1929-34; Little Brampton, Springfield Park, Horsham, 1934-39; Brampton, Station Road, Marple, Cheshire, 193901944; Thornbank, Station Road, Marple, 1944-1959; Picton Mains Cottage, Dalry, Scotland. c/o Thomas Worthington & Sons,178 Oxford Road, Manchester 13, 1957.


All information in this entry is from the 1911 Census, http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/reels/nai000432771/ (last visited Feb 2009),  IB 57, 17 Jan 1915, 25, membership lists of AAI in AAI Green Books, RIBA Kalendar 1957-1958, 483, and Directory of British Architects 1834-1914 (RIBA 2001), II, 598.