Dictionary of Irish Architects 1720 - 1940

M.P. and landowner, for whom see Edith Mary Johnston Liik, History of the Irish Parliament 1692-1800 (Ulster Historical Foundation, 1992), III, 56-59, and Dictionary of Irish Biography (2009).   While there is no evidence that Thomas Adderley was an architectural amateur, he was involved with several building projects in his various capacities.  When he was still a child, he inherited the estate of his father, Francis Adderley, in Co. Cork. As proprietor of the land, he built the town of Innishannon, Co. Cork, to which he brought sixty Huguenot families in 1747 to establish a linen manufactory. A charter school was built there in 1752.  In 1753 he built Marino House on property he had acquired at Donnycarney, Dublin, presenting it in the following year to his stepson, James, fourth Viscount Charlemont, who was then on his travels.  While Charlemont was away - abroad and in London - Adderley developed and managed the Marino estate on his behalf.(1)  In 1757 he was appointed one of the Dublin Wide Streets Commissioners and two years later Commissioner and Overseer of the Barracks and Public Works, a position which he held until 1769.  He was appointed treasurer to the Barrack Board in 1772 but was dismissed in 1782 after a clerk was convicted for embezzzlement.  A hospital and stables erected by the Board at Navan, Co. Meath, in 1776, were described as 'lately built under the direction of Mr Adderley'.(2)



(1) See Ruth Musielak (ed. Rose Anne White), Charlemont's Marino: portrait of a landscape (Dublin: Office of Public Works, 2014), 17-30.
(2) F. Elrington Ball, 'Thomas Adderley of Innishannon, M.P.' in Journal of the Cork Historical and Archaeological Society, III, 50-?; JIHC 8, appendix p.lxxx.

1 work entries listed in chronological order for ADDERLEY, THOMAS

Sort by date | Sort alphabetically

Date: 1776
Nature: Hospital and stables described as 'lately built under the direction of Mr Adderley'.
Refs: F. Elrington Ball, 'Thomas Adderley of Innishannon, M.P.' in JCHAS, III, 50-?; JHCI 8, appendix p.lxxx.