TOMLIN, PATRICK E. *
- Born: 1861/62 Died: -
Sculptor of Dublin. Patrick Tomlin, who, according to the 1911 census was born in Dublin in 1861 or 1862,(1) was head sculptor in the workshop of EDMUND SHARP in 1902.(2) By1906 he had established his own business in Grantham Street and Grantham Place as 'Patrick Tomlin & Sons'. He had married his English-born wife, Charlotte,circa 1885 and had two sons, Henry, also a sculptor, and Alfred, described at tthe time of the 1911 census as a 'dental apprentice'. He was still living in 1908(3) but disappears from the directories by 1915. He was the uncle of Charles E. Tomlin, who later succeeded him as Sharp's head sculptor.
AAI:(4) elected member, 1896; no longer on list of members for 1913-14.
Addresses:(5) Work: 9 Grantham Place, 1907.
Home: 34 Mountpleasant Avenue Lower, Ranelagh, 1900; 26 Heytesbury Street, 1911.
All information in this entry not otherwise attributed is from the entries on Patrick E. Tomlin and Charles E. Tomlin in Theo Snoddy, Dictionary of Irish Artists: 20th Century (1996), 498, and from Thom's and Post Office directories. He appears sitting next to Edmund Sharp in a group photograph of members of the AAI circa 1900 reproduced in IB 69, 15 Oct 1927, 759 (where he is described as 'the late Mr P. Tomlin').
(1) IB 44, 27 Mar 1902, 1079.
(2) IB 53, 11 Jul 1908, 421.
(3) From lists of members in AAI Green Book.
(4) From Thom's and Post Office directories and lists of members in AAI Green Books.
2 work entries listed in chronological order for TOMLIN, PATRICK E. *
|Building:||CO. DERRY, DERRY, CHAPEL ROAD (WATERSIDE), CHURCH OF ST COLUMB (RC)|
|Nature:||Altar group (Last Supper) carved by PT.|
|Refs:||IB 44, 27 Mar 1902, 1079(illus.)|
|Building:||CO. MAYO, CASTLEBAR, CHAPEL STREET, CHURCH OF OUR LADY OF THE ROSARY (RC)|
|Nature:||PT & Sons secure contract for new memorial pulpit designed by Rudolf Maximilian Butler. Pulpit 'somewhat unusual in form', being 'four sided and rectangular'. Sculptured groups by PT himself.
IB 50, 11 Jul 1908, 421; Freeman's Journal, 16 Sep 1908.