Dictionary of Irish Architects 1720 - 1940

Bricklayer, of Clontarf, Co. Dublin, whose will was proved in the Prerogative Court in 1759.(1) Between 1741 and 1759 he was employed by Trinity College, Dublin, on various work including the west front and Parliament Square.(2) He is probably the same person as - or near relative of - the Gilbert Plummer, bricklayer, who was working from an address in Boot Lane, Dublin, in 1738.(3)   The Christopher G. Plummer who was the bricklayer for the construction of Charlemont House in Parnell Square, Dublin, begun in 1763(4) was probably a connection.


(1) Arthur Vicars, Index to the Prerogative Wills of Ireland 1536-1810 (1897), 379.
(2) TCD muniments, MUN/P/2/81-6, 90, 91, 94, 97, 99, 104, 117, 118, 121-3, 130. 
(3) Nodlaig P. Hardiman and Máire Kennedy, eds., A Directory of Dublin for the year 1738 (Dublin Corporation Public Libraries, 2000),
(4) Christine Casey, The Buildings of Ireland: Dublin (2005), 149.