Dictionary of Irish Architects 1720 - 1940

Stonecutter, of Dublin, active from the 1770s to the 1790s. John Mack, who was presumably related to ROBERT MACK ROBERT MACK , was registered at masonic Lodge 412, Dublin, on 5 December 1771(1) and is listed in Wilson's Dublin Directory for 1784 as a stonecutter living at 20 Great Strand Street. He was admitted a Freeman of the City of Dublin as a member of the Guild of Masons by Grace Especial at Michaelmas, 1786.(2) He is probably the 'Mr Mack, of Dorset-street, stonecutter' who is mentioned in Faulkner's Dublin Journal for 4-6 October 1787; his address is given as 86 Dorset Street in Wilson's Dublin Directory for 1798. Bryan Bolger records measuring work for him at Mr Radford's new buildings on Arran Quay in 1790 and at Mssrs. Hawkesley and Rutherford's house on Lower Ormond Quay in 1791.(3) The will of John Mack, stonecutter of Dublin, was proved in the Prerogative Court in 1801.(4)


(1) Information from Alex Ward, GLFI archives.
(2) 'An alphabetical list of the Freemen of the City of Dublin, 1774-1824', The Irish Ancestor XV (1983), Nos. 1 & 2, unpaginated.
(3) Bolger MSS, NA/PRO 1A 58 126.
(4) Arthur Vicars, Index to the Prerogative Wills of Ireland 1536-1810 (1897), 309.
(10) Craig, loc. cit., above.