RYAN, JOHN A.
- Born: 1875 Died: 1927
Architect and engineer, of Waterford. John A. Ryan, the youngest son of James Thomas Ryan, JP, head of the firm of John Ryan & Son, building contractors of Limerick and Waterford, was born in Waterford on 17 June 1875, while his father was mayor of the city.(1) After attending Clongowes Wood College, he studied engineering at Queen's College, Galway, from 1894 until 1897. He then spent five years in the office of Morris & Ryan in London (see WILLIAM PATRICK RYAN ). He appears to have returned to to Ireland in 1904 after being elected resident engineer for bridge works by Waterford County Council;(2) as such, he was responsible for the rebuilding of Ballyneety Bridge between 1904 and 1906. In 1904 he was also appointed resident engineer to the Dungarvan water supply; he became engineer to the Dungarvan Board of Guardians in 1905(3) and to Dungarvan Urban District Council in 1908.(4) In 1907 he was appointed an assistant county surveyor for Co. Waterford and engineer to Youghal (Co. Cork) Rural District Council. He was also architect to New Ross Union Board of Guardians.(5) These duties formed only part of the general practice which he carried on from his office in Catherine Street.
On the outbreak of the First World War in 1914, Ryan gave up his practice to enlist first as a private in the 28th London Artists Rifles and then as a lieutenant in the Royal Engineers, remaining in France until the end of the war, when he retired with the rank of Captain. After the war he entered the Architects' Department of the Board of Works, but war service had affected his health, which deteriorated progressively He moved to the Riviera but did not recover, dying in Monaco on 7 November 1927. He was buried at St Martin, Monaco.
ICEI: elected associate member, 5 February 1908.(6)
Surveyors' Institute: member by 1904.(7)
Addresses: Abbeyside, Dungarvan, 1905;(8) 33 Catherine Street, Waterford, 1909-12;(9); 7 Michael Street, Waterford, 1914.(10)
All information in this entry not otherwise accounted for is from Ryan's application for membership of ICEI in ICEI Membership Applications, Vol. IV, no. 48 (NLI Microfilm pos. 9386) and from his obituary in IB 69, 26 Nov 1927, 878.
(1) IB 46, 2 Jul 1904, 401; Eamonn McEneaney, A History of Waterford and its Mayors (Waterford Corporation, 1995), 234.
(2) IB 46, 2 Jul 1904, 401; he is described as 'John Ryan, architect, London' in IB 46, 18 Jun 1904, 366, though it is possible that W.P. Ryan is intended here (as occurs elsewhere in IB).
(3) IB 47, 17 Jun 1905, 422.
(4) IB 50, 8 Aug 1908, 493.
(5) Freeman's Journal, 3 Feb 1910.
(6) TICEI 34 (1907-8), ?.
(7) See note 3, above.
(8) IB 47, 7 Oct 1905, 698.
(9) IB 51, 12 Jun 1909, 374; 52, 25 Jun 1910, 413, and lists of ICEI members in TICEI.
(10) IB 56, 21 Nov 1914, 646.
13 work entries listed in chronological order for RYAN, JOHN A.
Sort by date | Sort alphabetically
|Building:||CO. LIMERICK, LIMERICK, HOUSES (049)|
|Nature:||Erection of same proposed by Thomond Artisans' Dwellings Co. Architect: John Ryan, London (possibly a mistake for W.P. Ryan).|
|Refs:||IB 46, 18 Jun 1904, 366|
|Building:||CO. WATERFORD, RINGVILLE (DUNGARVAN), DISPENSARY|
|Refs:||IB 47, 7 Oct 1905, 698|
|Building:||CO. WATERFORD, WATERFORD, YELLOW ROAD LOWER, CONVENT OF MERCY|
|Nature:||New. FS laid by Bishop of Waterford 1 May 1905. Formally opened Sep or Oct 1906. Builder: John Hearne, Waterford. Estimated cost: £5,000.|
|Refs:||IB 47, 28 Jan,20 May 1905, 45,75,358; 48, 6 Oct 1906, 808|
|Building:||CO. WATERFORD, WATERFORD, BARRACK STREET, MOUNT SION, CHRISTIAN BROTHERS INSTITUTE|
|Nature:||Additions have been carried out. Archt: 'Mr Ryan, Dublin' (but probably John A. Ryan, Waterford). Contractor: John Hearne & Son, Waterford.|
|Refs:||IB 48, 1 Dec 1906, 970|
|Building:||CO. WEXFORD, NEW ROSS, HIGH HILL, AUGUSTINIAN COLLEGE|
|Nature:||tenders invited for erection of residental college at New Ross for Augustinians.|
|Refs:||IB 51, 12 Jun 1909, 374|
|Building:||CO. WATERFORD, WATERFORD, CONVENT SCHOOL|
|Nature:||New. Furnishing by Hearne & Co.|
|Refs:||IB 51, 20 Mar 1909, 178|
|Building:||CO. WATERFORD, DUNGARVAN, HOUSES|
|Nature:||New labourers cottages (26, or more?) for Dungarvan UDC.|
|Refs:||IB 51, 20 Mar,1 May 1909, 177,277; 52, 25 Jun 1910, 413|
|Building:||CO. WEXFORD, NEW ROSS, FEVER HOSPITAL (OLD)|
|Nature:||New kitchen, laundry and out offices.|
|Refs:||IB 51, 12 Jun,7 Aug 1909, 373,501|
|Building:||CO. WEXFORD, NEW ROSS, HIGH HILL, AUGUSTINIAN PRIORY SCHOOLS|
|Nature:||Extension. Contractor: John Hearne & Son, Waterford.|
|Refs:||IB 51, 21 Aug 1909, 533|
|Building:||CO. WATERFORD, WATERFORD, PHILIP STREET, ST OTTERAN'S SCHOOLS|
|Nature:||Works at same; addition|
|Refs:||IAA, PKS B21/52; 80th Report of the Commissioners of National Education in Ireland (1913/14), 129|
|Building:||CO. WEXFORD, NEW ROSS, UNION WORKHOUSE|
|Nature:||Drainage and waterworks to new sanitary and kitchen annexes. Tenders invited Mar 1910. Cost: £3,500.Contractors: Blake, N Gt George's St (drainage and waterworks); A. Cullen (building).|
|Refs:||Freeman's Journal, 17 Mar 1910; Irish Times, 17 Mar 1910; IB 52, 30 Apr 1910, 274.|
|Building:||CO. WATERFORD, WATERFORD, O'CONNELL STREET, HEARNE & CO.|
|Nature:||Reconstruction of drapery premises. Builder: George Nolan.|
|Refs:||IB 52, 5 Mar,30 Apr,14 May 1910, 150,285,318|
|Building:||CO. TIPPERARY, RATHRONAN, PAROCHIAL HOUSE|
|Refs:||IB 56, 21 Nov 1914, 646|