- Born: 1783c Died: 1832
Builder and architect, of Templemore, Co. Tipperary. According to the inscription on his monument at the site of the old church in Templemore, Denis Ryan was born in about 1783 and died in 1832.(1) He is described in the inscription as 'Architect' but is listed in Pigot & Co.'s City of Dublin and Hibernian Provincial Directory (1824)(2) as 'builder and baker'. According to the letter books of the Coade Ornamental Stone Factory of Lambeth, London, Ryan ordered from the factory a large vase, modelled after his own design, which was shipped to Templemore, via Dublin, in 1817. Letters relating to this order are dated between April 1816 and January 1818. Ryan thought the price of 14 guineas was excessive and was granted a trade discount of 10%.(3) He is presumably the same person as the 'stonecutter, Denis Ryan' who repaired the steeple and rebuilt the spire of Templemore Church of Ireland church,1817-1820, adding buttresses to the steeple in 1823.(3)
(1) Information about the monument from William Hayes, Roscrea, in letter to IAA of 7 Mar 1994.
(3) John Ruch, 'Coade stone in Ireland', BIGS 13, no. 4 (Oct-Dec 1970), 8, 12 (note 38).
(3) RCB Library, 'An account of of all sums of money levied for building and repairing of churches...June 1824' (information from Frank Keohane).
1 work entries listed in chronological order for RYAN, DENIS
|Building:||CO. TIPPERARY, TEMPLEMORE, CHURCH OF ST MARY (CI)|
|Nature:||Work on steeple and spire,1817, rebuilding of spire, 1820, and addition of buttresses to steeple, 1823.
RCB Library, 'An account of of all sums of money levied for building and repairing of churches...June 1824' (information from Frank Keohane).