Dictionary of Irish Architects 1720 - 1940

Chief engineer in Ireland to the Southern Railway Company from 1873-1875. By 1874 Michael Betagh had become a JP for Co. Dublin, and was living at Lohunda Park, Clonsilla, a property of 188 acres.(1) His pupils and assistants included WILLIAM KERNAGHAN.  WILLIAM KERNAGHAN.

A person of this name is recorded as having done estate surveying work in Co. Roscommon in 1844.(2) See also RICHARD BEYTAGH.  RICHARD BEYTAGH.

ICEI: elected associate member, circa 1850; raised to member, 1851 or 1852; delivers papers, 'A description of a self-registering water gauge and hydraulic clock', 18 Nov 1851,(3) and 'Results of two years observations on the fall of rain and discharge from the catchment basin of the Ballinrobe Drainage District', 8 February 1853;(4) no longer a member by 1870.

Address: Lohunda Park, Clonsilla, 1874.


All information in this entry not otherwise attributed is from Thom's and Post Office directories.

www.cmcrp.net (2008).
Peter Eden, ed., Dictionary of Land Surveyors and Local Cartographers…1550-1850 (1975), 35.
TICEI 4 (1849-1854), Part 3, 2-11.
TICEI 4 (1849-1854), Part 3, 51-59.