Dictionary of Irish Architects 1720 - 1940

Builder, of Dublin, active from 1835 or earlier until 1863 or later. A. Rosborough, of Fairview, Summerhill, appears on a list of Dublin master builders compiled in March 1834.(1)  He may be the  A. Rosborough who was responsible for making the very large and striking model of the proposed design for the new Pro-Cathedral in Marlborough Street, Dublin, in or after 1814.(2)

There seem to have been several persons of this name in Dublin in the eighteenth and early nineteenth centuries.. See also ALEXANDER ROSBOROUGH [1].  ALEXANDER ROSBOROUGH [1].

Addresses:(3) Love Lane Court, Summerhill, 1835-36; 29 Lower Talbot Street, 1837-1839; 78 Talbot Street, 1841; 133 Lower Gloucester Street, 1844; 132 and 133 Lower Gloucester Street, 1847; 6 St John's Terrace, Philipsburgh Avenue, and 54 Talbot Street, 1853; 8 Caroline Row, 54 Talbot Street and 107 Amiens Street, 1857; 54 Talbot Street and 107 Amiens Street, 1863.


(1) Royal Irish Academy, Haliday MS 4B 31;  this manuscript is a copy of a report presented to Daniel O'Connell in 1834 to support the argument for repealing the Act of Union by describing the catastrophic impact the Act had had on the tradesmen of Dublin.
(2) Christine Casey, The Buildings of Ireland: Dublin (2005), 127.
(3) From Wilson's Dublin Directory, The Post Office Dublin Directory, Pettigrew & Oulton's Dublin Almanac and Thom's Directory.

1 work entries listed in chronological order for ROSBOROUGH, ALEXANDER [2]*

Sort by date | Sort alphabetically

Date: 1843-44
Nature: Terrace of 6 houses next to St John's RC Church built by AR on land leased from J.E. Vernon.
Refs: Claire Gogarty, From Village to Suburb: The Building of Clontarf since 1760 (2013), 148(illus.).