ROBINSON, RICHARD *
- Born: 1766 Died: 1848
Engineer and ironfounder of the Phoenix Iron Works, Parkgate Street. Richard Robinson, a native of Hull, settled in Dublin in 1800. His Phoenix foundry was responsible for casting King's Bridge, designed by GEORGE PAPWORTH to commemorate the visit of George IV to Dublin in 1823. The foundry acquired the designation 'Royal' in this year. Robinson died in 1848 and is buried in St Michan's Church of Ireland church. By 1844 he had been succeeded in the business by William Robinson who carried on until 1858 or later. By 1863 the foundry had been taken over by Edward Toomey.
All information in this entry is from Wilson's, Post Office, Pettigrew & Oulton's and Thom's directories, APSD, P, 40, and Christine Casey, The Buildings of Ireland: Dublin (2005), 9.