- Born: - Died: -
Builder, architect and measurer, of Dublin. According to his fellow tradesmen, writing in 1834, Thomas Ring of Beaver Street was in business as a stucco plasterer in Dublin in 1800. When business started to decline circa 1816 he 'gave up the Stucco Trade & embarked in another business as Architect & Measurer'.(1) He is listed in Wilson's Dublin Directory from 1814 to 1837, described until 1835 as a builder and measurer and in 1836 and 1837 as an architect and measurer. He no longer appears in the Post Office Directory for 1839; by the early months of this year he had been imprisoned as an insolvent debtor.(2)
Ring represented the Guild of Bricklayers on the Common Council of Dublin from 1828 to 1831(3) and exhibited architectural designs at the Royal Hibernian Academy in 1834 and 1838.(4) He was a subscriber to William Stitt's The Practical Architect's Ready Assistant; or Builder's Complete Companion (Dublin, 1819) and Samuel Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837).
A person of this name was admitted a freeman of the City of Dublin at Christmas 1802 as a member of the Guild of Plasterers by Grace Especial.(5)
Addresses:(6) Beaver Street, 1814-1815; 81 Mecklenburgh Street, 1816-1837; 3 Lower Buckingham Street, 1838.
(1) Royal Irish Academy, Haliday MS 4B 31; this manuscript is a copy of a report presented to Daniel O'Connell in 1834 to support the argument for repealing the Act of Union by describing the catastrophic impact the Act had had on the tradesmen of Dublin.
(2) Freeman's Journal, 16 Feb 1839.
(3) Watson's Almanack (1831), 116.
(4) RHA 1834, no. 263; 1838, nos. 190, 204.
(5) 'An alphabetical list of the Freemen of the City of Dublin, 1774-1824', The Irish Ancestor XV (1983), Nos. 1 & 2, 105.
(6) From Wilson's Dublin Directory and RHA Index, III, 107.
4 work entries listed in chronological order for RING, THOMAS
|Building:||CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, HARDWICKE PLACE, ST GEORGE'S CHURCH (CI)|
|Nature:||Thomas Ring paid £15.2s.11d 'for ceiling the portico'.|
|Refs:||Papers relating to St George's Church, Dublin…Ordered, by the House of Commons, to be Printed, 29 April 1825, 9,19 (copy in IAA, RP.D.130.10)|
|Building:||CO. LAOIS, ARLESS, GRACE MAUSOLEUM|
|Nature:||Plan conceived by Sheffield Grace; architectural working plan furnished by TR.|
|Refs:||Mason, A Statistical Account or Parochial Survey of Ireland III (Dublin, 1819), 666; J.P. Neale, Views of Seats 5 (1822), no. 72; Brewer, Beauties of IrelandII (1826), 114-115|
|Building:||CO. WICKLOW, BRAY, BRAY HEAD HOUSE|
|Nature:||Design for conservatory, alts. & adds. 'done and about to be done' for George Putland.|
|Refs:||RHA 1834, no. 263; William Garner, Bray Architectural Heritage (An Foras Forbatha, 1980), 61-63(illus.) (but see also p.64)|
|Building:||CO. DUBLIN, ABBOTSTOWN (CASTLEKNOCK)|
|Nature:||Designs for alts & adds to S, W and N fronts, for James Hans Hamilton and for a kiosk in garden.|
|Refs:||RHA 1838, nos. 190,204|