Dictionary of Irish Architects 1720 - 1940

Architect, of Dublin, active in the 1890s. Samuel Reddy, a captain in the 3rd Battalion of the King's Liverpool Regiment and a Justice of the Peace for the city of Dublin, served a three year pupillage with JOHN LOFTUS ROBINSON JOHN LOFTUS ROBINSON (1) and was elected a member of the RIAI in August 1894.(2)  He appears to have died in 1898 as only a Mrs Reddy is listed in his house in Waterloo Road in the Post Office Directory for 1899, while he disappears from the membership lists of the RIAI in 1900. No works are recorded in the Irish Builder.  A 'Mr Reddy', possibly related, was a clerk in the architect's department of the Office of Public Works in 1913.(3)

RIAI: elected member, 1894; ceased membership, 1899.
Addresses: Work: 1 Suffolk Street, 1894; 56 Dawson Street, 1894;(4) 26 St Stephen's Green, 1895-1896.
Home: 48 Morehampton Road, 1896; 65 Waterloo Road, 1897-1898.


All information in this entry not otherwise accounted for is from the Post Office Directory for 1896 and 1900, from Jones's' transcripts from Thom's directories, and from RIAI lists of members for 1895 and 1898.

(1) IAA, RIAI office archives (Acc. 93/136), membership forms 1878-1909 (extremely fragile).
(2) RIAI council meeting minutes, 2 Apr 1894, 310, 9 Jul 1894, 315;  Irish Times, 26 Jul,9 Aug 1894.
(3) Freeman's Journal, 5 Dec 1913.
(4) Irish Times, 3 Feb 1894.