READ, JOHN WILLIAM *
- Born: - Died: -
Carpenter and builder, of Summerhill, Dublin and Dundrum, Co. Dublin. John William Read may be the John Read, carpenter, of 110 Mecklenburgh Street who appears in Wilson's Dublin Directory from 1814 or earlier until 1818 and who subscribed to William Stitt's The Practical Architect's Ready Assistant; or Builder's Complete Companion (Dublin, 1819). From 1820 until 1841 he was working from Summerhill. 'John W. Reed' of Circular Road is named in a list of the master carpenters and builders of Dublin in March 1834.(1) He retired to Dundrum in the 1840s and disappears from the directories in the mid-1850s.
Addresses:(2) Work: 68 Summerhill, 1820-1822; 69 Summerhill, 1823-1825; 14 Richmond Place, 1826-1833; 69 Summerhill, 1834, 1836; 70 Summerhill, 1837; 69 Summerhill, 1839; 70 Summerhill, 1841.
Home: 12 Upper Leeson Street, 1839; Churchtown, Dundrum, 1844; Lyndhurst, Churchtown, Dundrum, <=1847->=1853..
(1) From Wilson's Dublin Directory, Post Ofice Dublin Directory and Pettigrew and Oulton's Dublin Almanac.
Royal Irish Academy, Haliday MS 4B 31; this manuscript is a copy of a report presented to Daniel O'Connell in 1834 to support the argument for repealing the Act of Union by describing the catastrophic impact the Act had had on the tradesmen of Dublin.
1 work entries listed in chronological order for READ, JOHN WILLIAM *
|Building:||CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, WHITWORTH ROAD, ST GEORGE'S CHURCH BURIAL GROUND|
|Nature:||JWR paid £433.2s. in Jul 1824 'for building and enclosing burial ground'.|
|Refs:||Papers relating to St George's Church, Dublin…Ordered, by the House of Commons, to be Printed, 29 April 1825, 10|